Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Is there a "cat whisperer" in the midwest? I live in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Shyloh is "thinking outside the box" with her poop. She's done this since she was a tiny kitten, off and on. She is originally from a hoarder's household, we suspect that's how this got started. The vet can find no medical reason for this-and she uses all the other boxes, she only leaves her poop OUTSIDE one. Shyloh's person is blind, so she is having to avoid that area of her apartment until her care provider or a friend can come and address the...issue. And the smell and stains have drawn warnings from management-this must be solved, or one human and two kitties will be homeless. Shyloh's person has asked me to ask the Catster community if they know of a Cat Whisperer near enough to Kalamazoo, MI to help us...the nearest she's been able to find is in TN. Any help or advice you can give would be appreciated. Please be quick, if you can.

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Some animal whisperers can do their thing over the phone. I would be tempted to ask the vet for an animal behaviorist, one who specializes in cats. If they know of none, you can always do research on the 'net or call a local shelter who may have one on staff. I think Shyloh was "messed up" in her former life with the hoarder too. Shyloh's person's caretaker or friend may want to rent a carpet cleaner from Lowe's monthly (it's only $25.00 and is of professional quality.) This is what I do. We have 5 animals including 2 senior dogs and our carpets MUST be cleaned that often. Using an enzyme or oxy based cleaner can also help, but it must be left on the stain for 1/2 hour to work. Other than that, the only option is to cage Shyloh to retrain her to use her box. The one box she doesn't use may not be to her liking-in the wrong location. Have you tried moving that one box somewhere else or buying a new box? Good luck and purrs. We hope all works out for the best for Shyloh and her person.