why would my cat suddenly be thirsty al the time?

Member Posts: 1
He is an oldr cat that I got from a shelter. He doesn't let m touch him and I think he was severly abused. He is suddenly thirsty nd have a runny stool. I have been advised to get a fiber type supplment to harden his stool but I want to know why he is thirsty

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Excessive thirst can be a sign of several illnesses including diabetes. Kitty really needs to visit the vet to find out what is wrong.
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    Older cats (or any cat) who suddenly start drinking a lot of water need to be seen by a veterinarian ASAP. This could be a sign of diabetes or kidney problems. It's best to get kitty to a vet to make the diagnosis and treat him accordingly. I would not give him any fiber supplement - you don't know what he has or what you are treating him for! Let the vet make the diagnosis. Best of luck with your cat. I hope he is okay.