my female cat had babies three months ago, I just gave them away but mama is mourning for them. What

I gave the babies to my son the other day but my mama cat is mourning and crying for them. When she goes to visit them she still takes them down and feeds and washes them. She also still washes her first baby that she had who is now 5 years old. Did I give the kittens away too soon?

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    You don't say how old the kittens were, but they should not be separated from mom until at least 8 weeks of age. When I was doing animal rescue work, I could never have kittens in the same room with a cat who'd recently delivered. Even if they weren't her kittens, she'd still become very stressed and restless. Your queen sounds like a very affectionate and good momma. However, I'd like to respectfully suggest that you consider having her spayed. If she no longer has those hormones coursing through her body, she'll be a lot happier and healthier.