Would a Playmate Help?

I have a 4 year old cat and a 4 year old Pomeranian. The dog is over at my mother's a lot getting interaction with other dogs which leaves my cat by him self often. We recently finished our basement and during the process and now after he has been peeing random places outside of his litter box. We have taken him to the vet and nothing is wrong with him. She said it was "stress" related. We have since had to put him on anxiety medicine to get him to wind down and stop peeing. I know this may sound silly, but do you think my feline friend might benefit from a playmate/companion? We have a 2 year old and another baby on the way and I just feel that when this new baby gets here my time is going to be even more limited than it already is. :-( I really wish I would have gotten TWO cats instead of one but here I am 4 years later wondering if I made the right choice only getting one.

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Don't blame yourself. At the time, you did what you thought was best for you. If your dog and cat do get along, I'd say "go for it" with another cat if you can afford it. (Remember, it will be double the expenses). It will also be double the scooping, grooming, feeding, etc. I have 3 cats and while they don't spend their time together 24/7, if one is missing, the others are upset. And if I have to scoop the boxes and fill the food and water bowls (and vacuum up all the hair) I figure I may as well do it for 3 as for 1. If you do decide to add to your pet family, go to a reputable shelter. Explain your lifestyle, family members and what you're looking for in a second cat. Ask for advice on how to introduce the cat to the other one. Make sure the 1st kitty's spots are well-cleaned with an enzymatic or oxy-based cleaner or the other one will spray there as well. Good luck! I hope you find a great cat to add to your family!
  • Arna CohenArna Cohen Member Posts: 565
    Accepted Answer
    Izzie is a very wise cat, but with a baby on the way I don't know if now is the right time to get a second cat. Just the commotion in the basement was enough to send him off the deep end. A new baby and new cat all at once is quite a lot of stress, and your kitty might not react well. Better to let him adjust to the baby first. If he adjusts well, then you could explore the possibility of another cat. Don't add a second cat because you think your cat wants one, but because YOU want one. It can be a lot of work and anxiety to introduce cats to one another and you have to really be patient and committed.