My cat is sick but the tests say she's not. What's wrong?

A few days ago my cat was throwing up, or at least trying to. Nothing really came up but white foam. The vomiting has stopped but she won't eat or groom herself and is very lethargic. And she was panting a little. I took her to the vet and had tons of tests done. There was nothing on the xray, all her bloodwork was normal. No elevated white blood cell counts, organ function all looked good, everything normal. Even physically she looked fine, good color and all that, no temperature. She did have quite a bit of stool in her, so the second day I brought her in, the vet gave her an enema. She seems slightly better today but still lethargic, won't really eat, isn't cleaning her poopy butt. She had a little air in her stomach, but the vet said it was probably from the panting/throwing up. What is wrong with her? Why isn't she getting better? What should I do?? She's only 5, and an indoor cat.

Best Answers

• patricia ponivaspatricia ponivas Las Vegas, NVMember Posts: 51,847
    Accepted Answer
    I can only guess, you did the right thing by taking her to the vet. I'd call my vet back and tell him she still isn't eating. Maybe talk to another vet, you shouldn't have to have all the tests run again as they turned out normal.Is she drinking water? My Rex was vomitting alot so I took him to the vet and had x-rays and bloodwork done. The vet couldn't find anything. He made a guess that it was food allergies. I took all food with fish in it and now he eats only dry and wet food with chicken. He isn't vomitting anymore or hacking and he is gaining weight. Maybe you can try a different protein source. I sure hope your kitty gets better.
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Take her to another vet for a second opinion. Ask your first vet for a referral. so you won't have to go through paying for more x-rays. (best to tke the X-rays with you). Does she have bad breath. She might have something (even a grass stem) caught in her throat. If she loses her sense of smell it would put her off her food. As cats tend to eat by smell. But I'd seek attention quickly, if she is lethargic. Good luck and I hope you get to the bottom of it.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Get a second opinion (and take your x-rays with you). I rotate among three vets, all of whom have their strong and weak points. When Harvey had gum problems, I had to go to EIGHT vets until I found one who could treat him properly. Purrs.
  • Adam MolinaAdam Molina Member Posts: 3
    Accepted Answer
    What kind of food are you feeding her? Sometimes if you feed a cat cheap food it could contain by-products including wheat and corn. These ingredients could cause a cat to become allergic. Another reason could be that something in her life has changed, either a different owner or someone that loved her very much is no longer there.
  • Myndi DavisMyndi Davis LehiMember Posts: 215
    Accepted Answer
    You have done the right thing by taking her to the vet. My suggestion is a little different from everyone else's. If you take her to the vet again don't automatically decline more tests. Here's why: you said its been a few days, and things can change during that time. I've seen a pet have normal blood work, then three days later show kidney failure. Since all her tests where normal the first time, maybe something will show up on tests now that will give them a better clue of what is going on. Bring a print out of the tests your vet did so the other vet can look through them. Also, this is just an idea I'm throwing out there, ask your vet about doing a barium study. If she hasn't been eating & vomiting alot, and there is a strange "gas" pattern on her xray, there could be some type of blockage. Again, this is just an idea I'm throwing out there and I'm not a vet. Also, cats can eat strings that get tangled in their GI tract and they can be difficult to see on xray. wishing you the best
  • Linda Maiolo-MetheLinda Maiolo-Methe Member Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    I am having the same exact experience with my 6 year old cat who has been healthy until the last 2 days. How is your cat now? Did you ever find out what was going on?