Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Shouldn't Yuki already be in heat?

Yuki is already 7 months old, nearly 8 and she should be going into heat soon, right? I've seen kittens as young as 4 or 5 months go into heat but usually kittens go into it at 7 months, correct me if I am wrong. Yuki is a British Shorthair and I know that the age a kittens go into heat varies for several reasons but can anyone estimate when she will go into heat, or at least give me a few tips on later how to breed her with a male. Plus, how long will she stay in heat for? Thank you, Sandra :3

Best Answers

• Cindi LeonardCindi Leonard Plantation, Fla.Member Posts: 1,670
    Accepted Answer
    The timing is individual and genetic, just like with people. We read before that you want her to with get it on with the boy cat next door, but it is biology and menstruation can happen any time up to one year of age. She will be in heat for a few weeks, and if they like each other when in the same room they will do it... also just like with people. What are you planning on doing with this future litter... are you trying to sell them? What's the rush?? ^_^
  • Henry ScottHenry Scott Member Posts: 13
    Accepted Answer
    It seems you are interested in breeding, if so first if your kittens parents are not registered as pure breeds and if your Yuki isn't registered as a breeding cat, the litter will never sale as pure breed cats because there is no proof she is. Second, the first cycle can be erratic, but the whaling will be a sure sign because you won't be sleeping when she finally goes into heat. Third, the pure breed cat associations have tons of information on breeding I suggest you check there. But, again, if your cat isn't registered, which any buyer can check, with one of these associations you won't be able to sale them as pure breeds. Oh, and once she goes in heat your home will develop a really funny smell from marking. To find a male you need to advertise for a stud and be prepared to pay a "stud fee".