Is my cat peeing on my bed because I don't give him on the spot attention?

My cat Bobo is about 6 months old and is neutered. Recently he has started peeing on my bed. Within the past month, he has peed on the bed three times now. It's always on my side of the bed, not my husbands, but in different spots. I've come to think that it's because when I'm trying to fall asleep, I stop paying attention to him, and that's when he pees on the bed. I clean his litter box at least every other day, and shows no other signs of it possibly being a UTI. My husband and I have recently started locking Bobo out of the room at night because of this. The cat hates this. He'll meow at the door for hours until he gives up and sleeps. What can I do to get him to stop peeing on the bed so we can let him in the room with us?

Best Answers

• Cindi LeonardCindi Leonard Plantation, Fla.Member Posts: 1,670
    Accepted Answer
    First off, purchase a black light and see the extent of the pee damage and how deep it goes. You might need to purchase a waterproof mattress cover to protect your bed. Mine is cotton and does not feel like a rubber crib sheet. If the scent is still in your linens, he will continue to resoil where he has marked. Wash all linens (and the mattress if the pee went that deep) with nature's miracle or another pheromone remover for cat urine. See if that does the trick. After you do all that if your cat resoils, there's nothing wrong with keeping him out of the bedroom. He will need something in its place like a window perch, cat tree or scratchers and toys in other parts of the home to make up for the lack of bedroom access. Good luck! ^_^
  • Evelyn CummingsEvelyn Cummings Charlestown, NHMember Posts: 11,879
    Accepted Answer
    I would definitely get a urinalysis before I tried anything else. With many pets, the only sign of a UTI is indiscriminate voiding, often in places that are soft feeling since it is painful for them to go. I have a dog who gets frequent UTI's and the ONLY symptom he has is that he will pee on my bed. Sure enough, a urinalysis shows a pretty severe UTI, which responds rapidly to antibiotics. It is very likely this is your guys problem, too.

Comments

• Laura PortoLaura Porto Long IslandMember Posts: 2
    Would definitely check with the vet for UTI but also clean that litter box! It only gets cleaned every other day? It should be cleaned twice daily. Try cleaning the box more. If Pippa's box is not spic and span she will pee elsewhere.
  • I don't have an easy answer except to recognize kitty is letting you know SOMETHINGS bothering him! I have 2 cats, Rusty (12) and Silver (6) . Silver's nervous until he feels its safe, then he's affectionate and accepting. But, he has acted out many times, by peeing and pooping in OBVIOUS places like my bed, heater vents, and in front of his litter box. His message is loud and clear: "HEY! IM NOT HAPPY, AND YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING!" He's telling me he feels anxious or uncertain about something in his environment, as in his territory threatened by another cat or person, or unfamiliar surroundings. He's been fixed, but like many males, he still sprays if he feels he needs to protect what's his from intruders. I had to stop allowing this stray cat into his territory, actually showing Silver that HE lives here and HE controls his surroundings, and everyone else has LIMITED access.