Cat poops on the floor.

My Mother-in-law adopted a cat from some friend who were not able to care for the way he needed about one year ago. He is 10 years old and very obese. A month or two after she got him, he started pooping on the floor. Some times he will go in the litter box, but a few times a week he poops in random places in the house, and he never pees on the floor. She is very good at keeping the litter clean, she cleans it every day, sometimes twice. It is also in a safe spot so he cant be ambushed by anything or anyone. We are not sure what to do to stop it. Can someone give me a hand.

Best Answer

• Universal WhispererUniversal Whisperer Member Posts: 595 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Are you sure he's not getting poop caught in his coat and it's later dropping off on the floor? This is a common problem with obese cats. Also very obese cats cannot reach their own anal areas to clean them. Try gently clipping the hair shorter around his anus, on the underside of his tail near the anus, and on the back of his legs in the anal area. Also if his butt is dirty, try washing his rear area gently with warm water and a washcloth.

Comments

• Rosanne MalusaRosanne Malusa Member Posts: 2
    Has the cat been to a vet for a complete senior check up? Usually if cats go outside their box there is a physical or emotional problem. Is there any chance that the sides of the box are too high for him to comfortably go in it? Try Cat Attract litter once vet rules out illness.
  • Ryan BeachRyan Beach Member Posts: 1
    Hi Petey, I'm afraid I don't have an answer, but I can say I know exactly what you are talking about. I have an SPCA adopted male who has no problem peeing in the litter box...but he insists on pooping on the floor, right next to it! In my case it's not like he's pooping all over the house...he's just squatting - right next to his litter box - and dropping a load on purpose...and every single time, he's confused as to why he can't bury it on the tile floor. It's as baffling as it is maddening... I've tried cat boxes of various shapes, sizes, and locations, as well as different litter compositions all to no avail. Open to suggestions!