11 week old kitten not grooming herself -- new pet parent; please help!

Ashley PhippsAshley Phipps Member Posts: 20
edited 3 June, 2014 in Kitten Corner
Hi everyone! I just adopted my first kitten from the Humane Society over the weekend. She is an 11 week old long-haired calico named Adelaide. She is super cute, but I'm having some issues with her and pottying. She has no problem going to the litter box, but she proceeds to pee all over her tail and hind legs. I've tried trimming a little of the hair back there, but it's still not helping. She also doesn't seem to groom herself after pottying, so she brings her wet paws and tail out of the litter box and immediately jumps back up on me/my bed/etc. She had been abandoned, so I'm not sure that she ever had anyone to teach her grooming skills. Is any of this normal in an 11 week old? Will she eventually learn how to clean herself, or are we destined to a life of wet paws and tails and kitty pee everywhere (plus a stinky butt, even after shampooing)? Would a "potty patch" help? Thanks so much for your help! I really don't want to give up on her.

Comments

• Mittens ZinoMittens Zino Member Posts: 74
    edited 3 June, 2014
    Have you asked your vet? we had similar issues with mittens as a kitten, she smelled awful. he basically said she like a lot of kittens have better things to do like play then groom themselves and that it should improve as she gets older and it did. but I would ask your vet to be sure. kittens can be gross like babies and little kids. we have issues with our new kitten (11weeks also) not covering or stepping in it and tracking all over. its a pain but they grow up so fast so hopefully these two will get over it soon.
  • Sally WrightSally Wright DenverMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    My 10 year old is a medium long hair and we've had her since she was about 3 months old. She has never liked cleaning her bottom and will come to us to clean her up if she gets messy. We do trim her up periodically but she despises it.