Urinating on furniture

My cat is 8 years old. I have had her for 4 years. The last 2 years she has started randomly urinating on the furniture. Each time I take her to the vet, no UTI and all blood work comes back normal. This has happened about 6 times. We tried her on Calmicom and Gabapentin, neither have helped. I can’t keep her if she keeps doing this as she is ruining all the furniture. Any suggestions?  I have a appointment to surrender her to a local shelter, but having a really hard time with this as I really love her to pieces 😢😭

Comments

• TwinkleTwinkle BirminghamMember Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭

Wipe up the mess with a paper towel and then use a disinfectant and odor neutralizer. Avoid ammonia-based disinfectants because your cat will think it's urine and continue peeing in that area. A cleaning spray that lists orange oil in the ingredients works well. Cats dislike and will avoid the smell of citrus.

Kidney and thyroid diseases as well as diabetes mellitus are also possible culprits in a failure to use the litter box, as they often lead a cat to drink more and urinate more frequently. Another consideration is the pet’s mobility and sensory function. Medical conditions affecting the nerves, muscles, or joints could lead to enough discomfort, stiffness or weakness that the cat may not be able to get to the litter box, climb into the litter box, or get into a comfortable position for elimination while in the litter box.

An aversion to the litter box can also lead to house soiling. It could be the box, the litter, the location of the box, or all three that your cat finds unsavory.

Frustration or stress might also influence feline elimination behavior.

Also, I think this link has some good info: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/cat-behavior-problems-house-soiling