HAIRBALLS

My cat has long fur and I recently had to take him to the vet because he hadn't eaten anything in 2 days and he was vomiting a lot, but no hair was coming up. This just happened and the vet pumped him full of liquids, causing him to vomit at least 4 or 5 times when we got home. Three of those times, a very small amount of fur came up and today, exactly one week since he stopped eating, he finally ate, but only about 1/8 the amount of food that he usually consumes. So I'm not sure if we're out of the woods yet, or not. So can anyone tell me if I can have his fur shaved by a professional groomer, since it seems to be a potential threat to his life, or will shaving his fur **** him up somehow?

Comments

• TwinkleTwinkle BirminghamMember Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭
    I have long fur. I get matted sometimes & I have to be shaved. I hate it, but sometimes it's a necessary evil. I think your cat needs x-rays to see what's going on inside. If there's a huge hairball or another kind of blockage, it'll show on the x-ray. Your cat may have swallowed something he shouldn't have. The problem may not be hairballs. I highly advise getting x-rays done.
  • MousieCorpMousieCorp Member Posts: 15
    I have two long haired kitties and I use one of those brushes with the little metal bristles that look like bent needles and that seems to help a lot.   I agree with Twinkle.. Have kitty x-rayed to see what's happeing in there.  
    Is this the first time he's had hairballs?  A closer examination of kitty's Hairball Horking History might give you a bit of insight about what to do.  I hear giving them a little taste of butter or fish oil helps with hairballs. 
    Keep us posted and hug your kitty for me! 
  • seattle_mauiseattle_maui Member Posts: 5
    My cat actually tries to eat her hair. I have to race over & pull the hair out of her mouth.
  • JoanneAJoanneA Member Posts: 5
    Did your vet have any ideas on how to deal with hairball prevention?  I brush my Emma with one of those wire bristled brushes that MousieCorp mentioned in the above post. It works very well on long hair. It took a bit for her to get used to being brushed but now she loves it.  There are some good things out there on the market to try to help prevent hairballs and or to pass them.  I wonder why she tries to eat her hair unless it's because she's trying to groom herself......