Losing all my collars

DDnonameDDnoname PrescottMember Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited 24 October, 2005 in Behavior & Training
I cant keep a collar to save my life! Ive gone thru 3 collars w/tags.......... Any ideas? I guess Im glad they pop off, instead of choking me to death, but my mom is getting a little pissy about it!

Comments

• Desiree JohnsonDesiree Johnson RosevilleMember Posts: 3,736
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well,mommy got me microchiped.After I had gone trough over 30 collars,I would have my collar put on.I would leave,and come back with no collar at all.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Meows, what kind of collar does your Human make you wear? The safety collars tend to fall off because of that stretchy part or easy release buckle. The collars with just the regular buckle are better, for indoor cats anyways. My Human bought a safety collar for me a long time ago but it kept falling off as I played with my sister. So she bought be a regular collar and it stayed on, except for that one time when it mysteriously fell off and I made it magically reappear a week later.
  • Megan NelsonMegan Nelson Member Posts: 189
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I have lost way too many collars and tags for mom to count so now she buys the reflective ones and write her phone number on it with a sharpie. I have kept that collar for quite a while now. I am microchipped so mom feels a little better. The tags get caught on everything and she won't put a non safety collar on me, too much risk. The doggies even wear safety collars. Mom got my reflective collar at WalMart even. It works great and the red really looks nice with my black and white!:) Rascal
  • Tammy SchreinerTammy Schreiner FresnoMember Posts: 322
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I understand completely. I have lost over ten collars, and sometimes mommy gets so mad! In honor of my recent engagement to my beautiful fiance Sassy, though, mommy bought me a brand new handsome blue collar, so I'm going to try my hardest to keep it!
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom says we don't have to wear collars 'cause we're indoor cats. (We are microchipped, just in case!). That makes us happy since we really don't like collars! Makes Dad happy, too. He said those bells Mom insisted on were too noisy!
  • Kathleen McLaughlinKathleen McLaughlin AmherstMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I haven\'t lost my collar, but one time it almost came off, I somehow got my arm through it! It\'s kind of small, but I\'m glad I have it. One time, I wandered away and kept staying near someone\'s house. They saw my collar and called my humans. If I didn\'t have a collar, I might not have been found! Me and Henry both have microchips, so if we didn\'t have collars, we might have still been found. If you keep losing your collars, maybe you should get a microchip (if you don\'t already have one.)
  • Sally WrightSally Wright DenverMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    The people at our feed store said that the collars at Petsmart have gotten to be poor quality and so they don't carry that brand anymore (the breakaway collars). They recommended that I use one of their small dog collars and I haven't lost it yet. Of course, I'm not outside full time, and that's the only time that I have to wear one, unless we're travelling in the car. Simone got microchipped when she got fixed, but she'll still wear a collar if she goes outside, just as a secondary measure. Mom said that I'll be microchipped this spring when I get my teeth cleaned, mostly because that's when she'll be able to afford it. Microchipping is good, but it only works if the person who finds you decides to take you in to a place that checks for that kind of thing. If they decide to take your collar off and keep you at home, the microchip won't do a bit of good until they need to take you to a vet later on and it gets discovered. My mom still thinks it's still a good thing.
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I do the exact same thing Ella!! *grins mischieviously* I think mom has bought . . . oh about 6 six collars for me just this year alone!! heehee By the way . . . . my sis Sweetie and the rest of us wanted to tell you once again what a beautiful cat you are!
  • Janelle StokesJanelle Stokes ChristchurchMember Posts: 28
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I've only lost one collar and just recently. I like to hide in the garden and amongst the tussock so it could have slipped off anytime, and I'm not going to tell Jay where it is because that would make things too easy for her! She wanted to get me microchipped but she couldn't afford it. We live in New Zealand and it's $60 here. It's paltry compared to the other costs but for now she figures collars are still worth it at about $10-12 each (and $5-10 for a new nametag), especially since I don't often lose them, and it means people who see me will know I am owned and loved and can easily call home if I get lost. She also doesn't trust that anyone will bother checking for a microchip, and $60 goes a long way on our limited budget.