Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Fromm Four Star food---a safe alternative

Kris PotterKris Potter Dallas SuburbMember Posts: 1,131
edited 22 April, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Mommy heard about this food on another website she hangs out at. Fromm Family Four Star. (www.frommfamily.com) They make grain free foods and according to their website they make it at a faciltity that makes human grade foods. The website says they've been in business of pet nutrition and care since 1904. Mommy found a place to buy their food and it was really good. She said she could serve the canned food on toast to Daddy and he'd never know it was cat food. It seems like a safe grain free alternative. Any feedback from other kitties?

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 20 April, 2007
    There are other premium grain-free canned foods, like Wellness and Nature's Variety and Innova EVO. I've never tried Fromm so I can't comment on it other than it is a very good canned food. My Human tried feeding me Wellness once but I refused to eat it. I eat Nature's Variety and Innova EVO and gives those two paws up.
  • Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
    edited 20 April, 2007
    They seem like a really great company, and I've been taking a look at their foods too. On thepetfodlist.com is says their canned foods are made in China though, and that kind of freaks my mom out.
  • Kristen MaranciakKristen Maranciak PittsburghMember Posts: 560
    edited 20 April, 2007
    Fromm's wet food is made in China...My mommy wouldn't feed us that. Look into Merrick. Mommy just started feeding us the wet food. On occasion...It's pretty yummy. Their food are made in their own faciltiy and they say their ingredients are from the us. They do not make a dry food for cats...yet. They are working on it. Mommy has recently switched us over to Evo dry food. She is tired of all this food recall stuff...first wheat...then rice...now in South Africa Corn...She's tired of it and switched us. I love the Evo so I can't complain.
  • Kris PotterKris Potter Dallas SuburbMember Posts: 1,131
    edited 21 April, 2007
    No kidding? It's made in CHINA??????? :-O The man who told Mommy about it owns a distributorship and he made it sound like a really great food. Is there ANYBODY who is looking out for the health of kitties over making a buck? (Well, you guys are...thank goodness.) This same guy told us Merrick had quality control issues and that in the past people have found metal shards and other things in the foods. I normally eat Innova Evo dry, Wellness canned, and Merrick canned. We have Science Diet too, but when it's gone we won't get any more cuz of the corn content. Mommy was looking out for new foods for variety.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 21 April, 2007
    This is from the Fromm web site: Since we were unable to produce our Four-Star cans at our plant, we spent years searching for a plant that could meet our strict quality standards. After an exhaustive search we finally found a plant that would adhere to our inflexible quality standards. Our cans are produced at a human-food facility using nothing less than 100% human-food ingredients. The plant we selected is able to prepare each individual can by hand in a completely sterile environment which eliminates the possibility of any sort of contamination. Every can includes hand diced vegetables and meat or fish which is either hand-shredded or hand-cut to perfection. Finally each can is then hand-packed before they are sealed. Mocha, Fromm does make dry cat food: Fromm dry cat food. There is a duck dry food and a salmon dry food.
    edited 21 April, 2007
    This guy who originally told us about Fromm's has shared this website... http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/top/index.php?ntid=128995&ntpid=1 In the article it says Fromm's choose to do their canning in China because no human food cannery in America is allowed to make pet foods. This leads to many questions... 1...Why do we not allow human food canneries to also make pet foods? 2. Why does China allow it? 3. Does China have a FDA or a similar organization to oversee the food industry there? 4. If Fromm's has been in business this long, why haven't they bothered to build their own cannery then? 5. Do they have inspectors on site in China? What kind of testing of batches do they do to insure that the cannery isn't engaging in the type of deceptive practices that led to the tainted gluten? (Adding a chemical to the gluten just to make it appear to have more protein so they can make more money?)
  • D GarmanD Garman RichmondMember Posts: 745
    edited 21 April, 2007
    I no longer blindly trust any company in the pet food industry. Certainly not one in China. China does not exactly strike me as a nation concerned with pets. They've been caught using cat and dog fur to make "faux" fur and their wheat has killed how many dogs and cats here in the US? I don't believe they couldn't find or build a plant here in the US. What worries me even more is that even the pet food plants based here in the US use ingredients from China. It's a very scary time for all of us. Just because they say our pets are their priority certainly doesn't mean it's true.
  • Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
    edited 21 April, 2007
    I sent them an email the other day asking about the fact that their canned foods are made in China, and this is the response I got. Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in knowing all about Fromm Family Foods. Yes, the fact that our canned products are produced in China has brought negative feedback to our office, however, we've been very honest with each and everyone of our customers by informing them all about it. You are aware that our products are human edible, we have always worked that way, which is why our products are of top quality. We elected to go to China because we could not find a human food facility to produce products that we make in the US. We could have made it in a pet food facility, but then we could be caught up in the recall like everyone else. The safety and wholesome food for our customers and their pets are more important. We have Chinese Federal Inspection at the plant level every time we produce as required by FDA and USDA for importation into the US (for FOOD Products). Every load has a history of manufacturing process and raw materials used and is reviewed by the FDA and USDA. We also have to conform to Canadian importation requirements, which by comparison makes importing far more difficult. So yes we have Chinese CCIQ inspectors at the facility and FDA/USDA inspection of the products before the products can be allowed into the States or Canada. This is a requirement for food facilities, and is NOT a requirement for pet food facilities (in the US) as was the case with Menu. The ingredients suppliers have been inspected and we can only buy form those suppliers, otherwise we cannot bring it in to either the US or Canada. Each load has a detailed bill of lading identifies each ingredient supplier. Most of the ingredients do come from China, however, a large portion of our chicken does come from the States (around 50%) as the US exports large quantities of chicken to China. Every ingredient supplier facility has CCIQ (FDA and USDA equivalents) inspectors present to certify the product wholesomeness fit for human consumption. People who purchase our canned products can clearly see what's in the can and SMELL the difference. Thus we make our products the way we do so there is no question as to what is inside. The faculties here in the U.S. could make some of our products but they are not operationally equipped to make products like ours or we would be using them. It is also very important that you understand that China is NOT any cheaper when it comes to food products. We have to buy market price ingredients, the same ingredients sold in grocery stores, if we were buying by-products we could in fact retail our products for significantly less and our products would not look like they do, feed like they do or smell like they do. We are constantly looking and searching for different locations to keep producing high quality canned food, but in the mean time this is the one facility that stands up to our standards, we would never settle with anything that isn't safe and truly nutritious for companion animals. I am sorry if this email turned out to be too long, but foremost I hope this information has been helpful to understand why we produce our canned products in China. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again. Have a good weekend and best regards from all of us! Carolina Fromm Family Foods [email protected] www.frommfamily.com Phone: 1-800-325-6331 Fax: 262-242-3571 Mailing Address: PO Box 365, Mequon WI, 53092
    edited 22 April, 2007
    Mommy just read that email and let out a big sigh. Then she petted me and gave me this look that said "Oh my dear Echo boy, I sure hope what I'm feeding you is the right stuff. It's just so hard to know who to trust and what to believe." She's got people telling us not to trust Wellness because it has a small amount of garlic and it's made by Menu. She's got people telling us not to trust Merrick because of past salmonilla recalls and foreign objects found in food. She's got people telling us not to trust Fromm's because it's made in China. :?