ears

Sharla SikesSharla Sikes Member Posts: 356
edited 19 December, 2005 in Cat Health
I've had my ears treated for mite twice in the last week and a half and my ears are still warm, itchy and smell weird. When I got neutered last Thursday, they said the mites were gone and they were just still dirty so I got an ear cleaning. How long does it take for this to go away? Mom had a kitty years ago who had ear mites and it went away fast.

Comments

• Tihana GoricnikTihana Goricnik ZagrebMember Posts: 126
    edited 27 February, 2006
    It all depends on few things: 1. are all the mites completely dead? 2. how much cerumen (earwax) you have inside you ears? 3. the medicine itself can provoke itching when applied. If your ears are clogged with cerumen (you might have too much), it will take a while to get rid of it. You should apply ear drops twice a day (not only twice a week), or take the trip to the vet to rinse your ears one more time. Signs that your ears are still clogged: when you shake your head after the drops, if the blachish-brownish spots appear all around - the job is far from done. That's why my Mum did the procedure inside the bathtub (with every cat she ever had). Bathtub is easy to clean, and it's white, so everything that comes out of ears is visible (also the amount of the itchy stuff). The ears can be cleaned with cotton sticks (the same way humans do to themselves). Just scrape the excess cerumen out of the ear folds. Very gently. Some cats like that, some hate it.
  • Sharla SikesSharla Sikes Member Posts: 356
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks for the info! The last time I had a cat with mites, the vet gave me drops to put in so I was surprised to hear them say they'd be clean after 2 visits. I'll ask for the drops.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    http://www.cah.com/library/earmite.html quote: "It is essential that a veterinarian starts treatment by cleaning out the cat's ears. Flushing out debris gets rid of a large number of mites. It is not suggested, however, that an owner remove the debris because damage could be done to the cat's ears. " (if the owner is experienced (and gentle) enough, and cat is calm enough, simple cleaning of excess earwax won't hurt). "After cleaning, vets typically treat mites with medication, usually in the form of drops, that not only kill the parasites but also prevent secondary infections and reduce inflammation. It's imperative to continue the course of treatment at home for at least a month to cover the complete 3 week life cycle. " (and you were right, it DOES take a while) "Mites infestations can sometimes be persistent. In a multicat household, for example, an asymptomatic cat with mites could repeatedly reinfect a recently treated cat. So all cats and dogs in a household would need to be treated. Although they normally live in the ear, sometimes mites migrate and are found outside a cat's ear, such as on its neck, rail, or rump. In these cases, the animal must be treated with a reputable flea product in the form of a shampoo, spray, or powder." (that's what happened in our household few years ago. we had a newcomer with 2 kilos of mites and earwax and he infected all the girls. everyone had to be sprayed with Frontline, and than the exhausting ear-mite therapy... it took us forever to get rid of the parasites. especially the girls, who had never had anything put in their ears before, were not cooperative at all. they hated me, the kitten, drops, scratched their ears like crazy - they were grumpy all the time and acted like fussy royalties)
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Good info! Do you have to get the drops from the vet, or is there an OTC treatment for them? Doesn't seem like something like ear mite drops would be prescription only.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    From the vet definitely. We used to apply few kinds: Otiprin (for dogs), Otonazol (for cats), or we bought some human-eardrops in pharmacy and took them to the vets and then he injected anti-parasite solution inside those drops. These names might not help you at all, since they are produced and used in EU (and neighbourhood). The effect of the drops should be at least double: anti-parasite, anti-inflammatory, etc. Vets know!
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When I came to live with Mom, she thought the inside of my ears were colored black. Nope- BAD case of ear mites! It took several trips to the vet to get rid of them. In just a few weeks, the insides of my ears were a beautiful white and I had no more itching! I really think the vet is the best idea here. They know exactly what to do, no guessing! :0) Good luck! PS- How are you doing with the dog?
    edited 27 February, 2006
    OK thanks ... after Christmas we already have an appointment for the next round of vacs so I'll get the drops then. Dog ... well ... it's been interesting. I haven't gotten a lot of sleep. The only way to get peace is to play with them until they are each exahusted. They still tear my house up chasing each other around.