Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

BEST up-to-date PET FOOD RECALL sites HERE!

Amy RussellAmy Russell SeattleMember Posts: 110
edited 27 April, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
1. http://www.itchmo.com/ 2.http://www.howl911.com/#headlines 3.http://petconnection.com/ Up-to-date doesn't even do these guys justice. They are all way ahead of the game and are informing us the millisecond any new news emerges! I urge you all to go there now! Anyone feeding their pets Wellness Brand? You might want to stop for now.

Comments

• Lisa CorbinLisa Corbin San AntonioMember Posts: 15
    edited 19 April, 2007
    Thank you soooo much for this update. So far, Meow Mix is not on any list but its still scary! =;
  • Lisa WalstonLisa Walston SmyrnaMember Posts: 3,917
    edited 19 April, 2007
    What is going on with Wellness? Dry? Canned? Grain free? Please share details! I eat a fair amount of Wellness canned, but I don't eat any kibble.
  • Stephanie LitosStephanie Litos Member Posts: 210
    edited 19 April, 2007
    Jonnie Harriet Rocket, have you heard anything specific about Wellness? Buster, I called Wellness yesterday and they told me they only use rice protein concentrate in their "Simple Foods" for dogs and in one type of dog treat. Although they told me they don't source from the same place as Natural Balance, in light of the newest information I might stay away from that for now. But the cat food doesn't have those ingredients.
  • Lisa WalstonLisa Walston SmyrnaMember Posts: 3,917
    edited 20 April, 2007
    Thank you, Emma! Mom is relieved because with my kidney disease, Wellness Chicken canned is one of the foods that is pretty low in phosphorus that I'll eat. This is what I don't understand about the rice protien concentrate in the 'simple' or 'allergen' types of food. With the venison and green pea, it's supposed to be a single source protein, single source carbohydrate food. If venison is the protein and they add rice protein concentrate, it seems that it's no longer a single source protein, am I right? For purposes of treating food allergies, it seems that would muck it up. With Wellness simple foods, I believe that brown rice is the carbohydrate, so rice protein concentrate would at least be in the same family. At any rate, I'm rambling :) Thanks for the info on Wellness and I await any further information about this brand and HOPE that nothing is forthcoming, if you know what I mean!!
  • Stephanie LitosStephanie Litos Member Posts: 210
    edited 20 April, 2007
    Buster, I don't know much about allergen-free food, but what you say makes sense. I do know that when I talked to Wellness they said they needed to add rice protein concentrate to their Simple line because it needs the protein. I also read online that rice protein concentrate is considered "hypoallergenic." So maybe it doesn't "count" as a protein source? :-k I did think that you would like to know that I checked Wellness' site today and it says that they don't source their rice protein from the place in China that has been implicated, or from Wilbur-Ellis (the US distributor used by Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo and three still-to-be-named companies). Innova has a similar comment on their site, saying they doesn't source from those places and that they are not one of the five manufacturers who have used rice protein concentrate from there.
  • Amy RussellAmy Russell SeattleMember Posts: 110
    edited 24 April, 2007
    So did Natural Balance. But then that changed as well. Top 10 best foods out there......supposedly. I think that they need to name the other 4 companies NOW! It's ridiculous waiting, wondering WHAT CAN WE FEED OUR PETS. Making us wait is completely heinous and unaccceptable. Depriving is of vital information that could be life threathening that to me is illegal, sick and utter ****. Sorry don't mean to offend anyone but these are our family members! Sounds like big business to me. They need to name these companies NOW NOW NOW!!!! I won't stand for this and the companies themselves know who they are. If they want to continue doing business with us pet owners they should stand up and say they are affiliated and I would honor them and hold them at least credible for their concern first for us over the all mighty dollar.
  • Allyson SeachAllyson Seach EvansvilleMember Posts: 49
    edited 25 April, 2007
    I AGREE WITH THAT!! THIS IS SUCH CRAP THAT WE HAVE TO SIT HERE WONDERING IF WE ARE POISONING -OR EVEN POTENTIALLY POISONING-OUR PETS. ALL BECAUSE THEY'RE AFRAID OF LOSING BUSINESS...PISSES US OFF!! OUR MOMMY HASNT SLEPT A FULL NIGHT SINCE LAST THURSDAY WHEN PHOEBE JO THREW UP AT 330 IN THE MORNING...SHE'S POSTED ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON AND WHAT IS SO UPSETTING IN ANOTHER FORUM: http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/401747/1 AND STILL NO ONE WILL ANSWER OUR QUESTIONS...
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 25 April, 2007
    Dr. Foster and Smith Chicken and Brown Rice Light dry cat and dog foods have been recalled effective today, we just got an e-mail from the company. I might add A FULL WEEK PLUS since they knew they got their rice protien concentrate from Wilbur-Ellis!!
  • Allyson SeachAllyson Seach EvansvilleMember Posts: 49
    edited 27 April, 2007
    this is REDICULOUS. there is absolutely no way any of these companies can justify NOT telling us. If they dont want to issue a recall then whatever- they are the ones who have to deal with that and answer for it on their judgement day. HOWEVER, they need to at least tell us where they get their freaking ingredients from so WE can make the responsible decision for OUR PETS! They would save a lot more business in the future if they would do the ethical thing and be honest. I mean, I blamed china to begin with...but all this secrecy puts them right up these companies right up their with them...like i said before, THIS IS REDICULOUS. How is this acceptable... KNOWING your company is affiliated with a supplier of POISONED INGREDIENTS and REFUSING to be HONEST about it so that the owners of your customers can properly care for their pets...how is that not cruelty?
  • Kathy HobbsKathy Hobbs BoiseMember Posts: 298
    edited 27 April, 2007
    Canine Caviar recalled their canned Beaver and canned Turkey Alternative diets for dogs and cats this morning. The opening page of their website has more info. I\'m guessing it has to do with the rice protien. All they say is that their co-packer added an unathorized ingredient and their food has not tested positive YET. www.caninecaviar.com