Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

chicken soup for the cat lovers soul

jenniecarra andriesjenniecarra andries baton rougeMember Posts: 676
edited 27 May, 2005 in Food & Nutrition
are there any cats out there that eat chicken soup for the cat lovers soul? does it make you fat? how do you like it? i am asking because diego isnt eating a very good quality food. he is eating meow mix.

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our mommy looked at that at the store, she thought it had a funny name ("for the cat lover..." instead of "for the cat..", like who do they think is going to eat the stuff? LOL). We haven't tried it yet, though. If we do, we'll let you know what we think. :-)
  • Wendy WardWendy Ward TorontoMember Posts: 84
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Sounds like another cheap marketing ploy to me...Hey Diego, if you want a catfood with REAL chicken and nutritious ingredients try Newman's Organics (wet or dry). I've never felt better or had such a great looking coat!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey Diego--our mommy was at the pet food store today and they had some trial sizes of 'Chicken Soup' so she bought us some. So far, it seems pretty yummy! When she poured it into our bowl, we both wanted to gobble it right away! Beatrice wound up with her face in the bowl and I had to reach around with a paw and pull one kibble at a time onto the floor and eat it. Of course, we usually like new foods right away but then when the novelty wears off we will get bored with it and want our regular stuff again. So, we'll see. Beatrice has a sensitive stomach, too, and so far she seems to be tolerating it well. If that changes, we'll let you know. The trial sizes they had were only for the regular adult formula and kitten formula, but mommy saw that they have a 'light' formula, too, if you want to try it and are worried about your weight. :-)
  • jenniecarra andriesjenniecarra andries baton rougeMember Posts: 676
    edited 27 February, 2006
    thank you everyone. i am getting sick of my old food-meow mix indoor formula. so mommy wants to try something that she thinks i would like .
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    It is an excellent, holistic food and is recommended by lots of people. My mummy got some last week (a sample bag) and both Inky and I love it. We didn't much like the wet food though and really love Fancy Feast Grilled Turkey or Chicken (nothing else will do!). Mummy got both the adult cat and for the overweight cat(she says I am)! HUH. She also got the Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul and it's the only crunchy food that Rosie will eat. Highly recommended.
  • Stuart AsbelStuart Asbel The Shellies Memorial Home forMember Posts: 3,367
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We tried Chicken Soup, but didn't like it. We're sticking with our Innova lite dry. It's more expensive, but worth it.
  • Sally WrightSally Wright DenverMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yeah, Moo - Innova or Innova Evo are good foods. I just switched to Evo and it's awesome (no grain)! More expensive, but I eat less and spend less time in the litterbox too! YAY!
  • Miss AnnaMiss Anna Member Posts: 8
    edited 27 February, 2006
    my momma got me chicken soup before and I love the can and the dry
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, Arthur and I have been on "Chicken Soup" for a few months now. Our mommy thinks that I might have gained some weight, though. It's hard to be sure since I've always been full-figured anyway, but she thinks I might look a little bigger and I've been moving slower. She's worried that the extra weight might be making my bad hip ache more, so she's switching us to the "light" formula. It's hard to go on a diet now, though, because our new foster brother, Ben, is still a growing kitten and shouldn't be eating low-cal food. So he gets fed kitten food in the bedroom while Arthur and I eat in the kitchen.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    I eat Chicken Soup and my mom and dad kept telling me that I'm losing my girlish figure! Xavier and Mitzi don't seem to have a problem with their weight so I guess I'm just a little piggy!
  • alyssa elkinsalyssa elkins east brunswickMember Posts: 169
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our owner has heard good things about Chicken Soup brand, it\'s one of the premium kinds if you go the commercial route. She has us on Wellness wet, though. It\'s got no grains, Wham and I like it, and it\'s not too expensive if you order it online. By its ingredients list, Meow Mix is one of the worst brands out there. You can\'t drop it fast enough! Us tomcats especially should stay away from dry food...it\'s linked to urinary blockages.
  • Ashley WeatherholtzAshley Weatherholtz WhartonMember Posts: 85
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I was just switched from the icky Purina kitten chow to the ever yummy Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lovers soul, I have yet to put on a bunch of weight from it... but then again I eat only a cup of it a day and also have available to me some kitten chicken vittles and meowmie fixes me kitty friendly home made food at the end of every week. I have no problems with Chicken Soup for the kitten lovers soul, I think it's yummy!
  • Alison MacDonaldAlison MacDonald SomervilleMember Posts: 343
    edited 27 February, 2006
    we eat "chicken soup" lite and we love it, we switch between that, solid gold and innova. but we like that the best. no problems with weight gain, even aleister and he's a lazy old kitty...
  • Tracy ForemanTracy Foreman TaylorvilleMember Posts: 4
    edited 27 February, 2006
    we've been eating chicken soup cat food for over a year now and we loooove it! so does our mommy cause it keeps our coats really nice and silky soft, we have no problem with weight, my mom says that its usually not the food that makes animals fat, its the amount they eat
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I gained some weight while on Chicken Soup, though I've been known for a little piggliness in my day. Our mommy switched us to the "light" formula, but she's been worried because my bro, Arthur, and I have shown some signs of what could be kidney distress (most likely from age, not from CSftCLS), so we've more recently switched to Nature's Recipe Senior. Our much younger foster brother, Ben, gets the Chicken Soup kitten formula (seperate from us--darn!). We like the Nature's Recipe pretty well, though!