Not all recalled food pulled from shelves - PLEASE be careful!

Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
edited 10 May, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Today, mommy was in a pet store where she normally doesn't shop. Mainly, she went in to see the cute kitties in the window (rescued kitties she fell in love with and really wanted to bring home). While she was there, she thought she would check to see that there weren't any recalled foods on the shelves. Mostly, she just knows about the Natural Balance ones, because that is what we eat. She was shocked to find that none of the additional items that were recalled on April 26 were pulled off the shelves. NONE!!!!!!! When mommy told the sales person, her response was that only the venison products had been recalled. Mommy told her that there were six additional products recalled on the 26th because the manufacturer had added rice protein without Natural Balance knowing. It was tainted, so NB had proactively recalled anything this company had added rice protein to. The clerk said that they got all their recall information from the main office and that no one had sent them that information. Mommy called Natural Balance and let them know. They said they would have a representative call the store. Even though the clerk told mommy she would call their main office and get them to look it up online, mommy didn't really trust that would happen. How many dogs and cats have eaten food that was already recalled? That is sooooo scary. So, please, don't rely on the pet food store to take all the bad products off the shelf. Check the FDA's website for a complete list of recalled foods. Check the website for the food you purchase. Check everywhere you can to make sure your food is safe, but don't assume that because it is on the shelf, it wasn't recalled. Phew....

Comments

• Bonnie HeavensBonnie Heavens Hoffman EstatesMember Posts: 40
    edited 10 May, 2007
    This is so scary! Thank you Binks!
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 10 May, 2007
    Yeah, you have to be really careful these days. A few weeks ago, the day after a few varieties of Alpo dog food were recalled, I went to my local grocery store. Sure enough, there on the shelves, were every single variety of Alpo canned food that had been recalled. I told a cashier, but she brushed me off, saying all their info about the recall was promptly faxed as soon as the recall was issued. I guess she thought I didn't know what I was talking about. But I went back a few days later, and the Alpo was gone. I was glad, but I just hope nobody bought any of it those few days that it was still on the shelves after being recalled.