what happens to the umbilical cord on kittens?

Jennifer RookstoolJennifer Rookstool myrtle beachMember Posts: 6
edited 10 May, 2007 in Kitten Corner
Hi,I have adopted a feral kitten, she is 5 weeks old..and a few days. She is eatting very well( she eats my food all on her own), but my mom noticed a lump on her stomach. It seems to be getting smaller. Does anyone know if it could just be her umbilical cord?? Since it is on the lower part of her stomach and she is soo young. Or is it something much more serious? Mom, is planning on taking her to the vet for her first set of shots soon,anyways. We just want to know if we need to speed that up b/c of this "lump" Its soft and kinda squishy when mom touches it, if that helps any.

Comments

• Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 10 May, 2007
    It's Stella. She might have a slight hernia, so you had better take her to the vet. Ours are 6.5 weeks old and have no visible belly buttons or lumps. It's a common place for hernias to occur in all mammals, and easily repaired if caught in time. Purrs to your sweet kitten!
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 10 May, 2007
    Oh, no...that would not be the umbilical cord. It got dried up and dark, and the dimension of a thin piece of string...then was gone within the first few days. Foster Grandma wonders why cats don't have belly buttons! It does sound like it could be a small hernia. When you get to the vet for vaccinations, have it checked.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 10 May, 2007
    It's Stella. She might have a slight hernia, so you had better take her to the vet. Ours are 6.5 weeks old and have no visible belly buttons or lumps. It's a common place for hernias to occur in all mammals, and easily repaired if caught in time. Purrs to your sweet kitten!
    edited 10 May, 2007
    Stella, that is true about how common hernias are in that area. I had a little hernia after I was spayed but it went away. My Mommy's human sister had a hernia in a similar place when she was about 3 years old. Mommy wasn't born yet, and her sister doesn't remember, but she had to have a little operation. Cats don't usually need operations...if we are kept quiet they will generally resolve themselves.
  • Jennifer RookstoolJennifer Rookstool myrtle beachMember Posts: 6
    edited 10 May, 2007
    Thanks guys...it seems to be mostly liquid. Not sure if that is good or bad.
    edited 10 May, 2007
    Uh oh... That sounds like a cyst or abcess. Have it checked. Hernias feel more like a bump...not liquidy.