Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Food That Doesn\\\'t Come Out Stinky?

Shannon KleinerShannon Kleiner San DiegoMember Posts: 66
edited 12 May, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Hi there, everycat! I come to the forums a little embarrassed today, because my sister\'s and my litter-box smells terrible. :r And we live in a small apartment, so the smell gets everywhere. My boy-pet and girl-pet want to know if anycat can suggest a yummy dry food that won\'t make our box smell quite as bad. I know this kind of post has probably been made a hundred times before, but my sis and I would really appreciate some advice!

Comments

• Jerry MikutisJerry Mikutis ChicagoMember Posts: 135
    edited 11 May, 2007
    I think food with less fillers tend to come out less stinky. I'm a big girl and I can't really reach my bottom (but I try!). When mom first got me, I stunk to the high heavens and she was always washing my bottom b/c of the smell. I'm on a combination of Innova/Wellness and I still can't reach my bottom, but there's a huge improvement of the smell on me and in the litter box. What litter are you using? I've found that the "natural" kinds, like Worlds Best and Swheat Scoop don't smell as bad as the clay litters. Or it could be something in your system that's giving you the smelly poos, like a fungus or bacteria or virus.
  • Shannon KleinerShannon Kleiner San DiegoMember Posts: 66
    edited 11 May, 2007
    Well, boy-pet and girl-pet are full-time students (ie: they don't have a lot of that green paper stuff we like to play with), so they usually go for the cheapest flushable litter they can find. (Flushable = super-awesome-greatness.) And they're feeding us, most recently, Frisky's Dry Seafood Medley (or something along those lines). We'll try the natural litter idea, Diana -- that sounds like a purrific idea -- but does anycat know of a dry catfood that will make us less stinky but doesn't cost a paw and a leg?
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 11 May, 2007
    Look for a food that doesn't contain grains or by-products as the first few ingredients. Unfortunately, many inexpensives brands are poor quality. Petco and Petsmart and other pet stores sell better mid-quality foods with few bad ingredients. Perhaps your Humans can afford a mid-quality food.
    edited 11 May, 2007
    It's pretty easy to talk my hoomans into better stuff for us, once we convince them that it's for our own good. We will try your suggestion, Merlin. What kind of food do your pets feed you?
  • eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
    edited 11 May, 2007
    Right now we are eating Natures Variety "Raw Instinct" which is a grain free food. We used to eat "Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lovers Soul" which is a great food (and made our poop not stink) and doesn't cost much more than grocery store brands! If you can find it in your area, it's a good choice =;
    edited 12 May, 2007
    Thanks so much, Tucker! We'll try it. |^|
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 12 May, 2007
    I eat only low carb canned food: Nature's Variety, Innova EVO, ProPlan and Weruva.