when do we switch to adult food?

Sam SlocombeSam Slocombe WokingMember Posts: 37
edited 13 May, 2007 in Kitten Corner
Hi im 9 months old and always hungry! Mum was wondering when the best age to switch to adult food? I am still on kitten food but as i have a delicate tummy she is very nrevous about the switch Thanks

Comments

• Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 11 May, 2007
    Hi, Jack! You certainly are a good looking boy! A lot of vets have a lot of opinions on this, but here is what Mommy has done: When she got her first cat, Spice, she was five months old. She was at a humne society where all the cats interacted, so she was already eating adult food. So, Mommy never really gave Spice kitten food. When she got me, she did give me Purina One dry kitten food, but never used wet kitten food. She tried different wet Friskies to see what I liked. Mommy's vet told her that, in many cases, kitten foods are extremely similar to adult food anyway, and it is often more of a money/marketing thing. When you switch Jack's food, just do it gradually by mixing the old and new together for awhile and then eventually give all new. Good luck!
  • Sam SlocombeSam Slocombe WokingMember Posts: 37
    edited 11 May, 2007
    Thank you, Jack did try adult food when he first came but he got really ill. Hopefully this time it will be easier|$|
  • Sarah ManolisSarah Manolis San FranciscoMember Posts: 148
    edited 12 May, 2007
    Hey Jack (nice name)! With my previous cat, I started mixing her kitten and adult food at around 10 months. Over the course of the two months, she became primarily on adult cat and never experienced any upset tummy issues. If you notice, most of the premium brands don't have any kitten formulas. It's all just "cat food". It really makes sense. It's not like, in the wild, there were kitten formula mice and fish scurrying around! :) Good luck with the switch. Let us know how it goes! sarah & jack
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 13 May, 2007
    Jack Number 2...that is a good point...kittens don't hunt for baby mice! That made Mommy smile. :)