a new and crusty kitten

D GarmanD Garman RichmondMember Posts: 745
edited 17 May, 2007 in Kitten Corner
Well, mom's done it this time. She found herself a kitten. And not just any kitten, but a kitten someone threw out. This kitten has a scratched up nose and his entire face is covered in eye and nose crust. He's at the vet's right now. She couldn't bring him in the house cause she was afraid he might make me sick. They put the little guy in insolation with a humidifier and she'll find out more about how he's doing in the morning. But meanwhile, she's trying to prepare for bringing him home. I have my own room and she knows I might not like him right away. Do you think it would be ok to confine the little guy to a small bathroom until I say he can come out? What sort of things do kittens need that a cat might not? Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated. We should have some pics of the little snotball to post tomorrow.

Comments

• Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 10 May, 2007
    Maggie, you sound as thrilled as I am about 'the FOSTERS.' Absolutely it is okay to keep the kitten in one small room...for as long as you need for the adjustment. Miss Kitty and the kittens have been in one room the whole time they have been here...today was nine weeks for Miss Kitty.
  • Mandy FeeneyMandy Feeney dundeeMember Posts: 7,973
    edited 11 May, 2007
    Thts gd news, My mum has been wanting a kitten herself, she saw this great Ginger Kitten at the SSPCA yesterday, when she was working...... All you really need to know about kittens is, they'll need actual Kitten food (Easier on their Stomach - I think), more meals a day, but Smaller portions..... And of course lots of play time & Uncontinious Love..... Since you found that Kitten, it may not be Toilet Trained.... They usually learn to use a litter box from their mother.
  • Audrey McAnarneyAudrey McAnarney Atlanta, GeorgiaMember Posts: 1,982
    edited 11 May, 2007
    Congrats on the new kitty! |bb| And, dont forget kitten proofing! I\'m sure you already know this but be sure to keep shoes, electrical wires, strings, hair twisties or anything that he can choke on out of the kitty\'s living area. Mom had to learn that the hard way when she stepped in her shoe and found me there.... and when I fell down the heating vent. :r
  • Melanie SkeensMelanie Skeens Member Posts: 25
    edited 16 May, 2007
    aawww another hero story. the vet will take care of the crusties. when i was found i had an eye infection that would get all goopy and then crusty. mom found eye stuff that she would swab on with a q-tip about 1-2 times a day and i was still very little and it was better within a week or two. it all depends on how old this little crusty is... she might need kitten milk, if she is old enough you can get kitten chow or small peiced wet food. either way she will have different needs. she will be fine in a small room. sometimes i still spend all night in the bathroom if i make to much noise at bedtime. I hope you learn to like her. she may be a fun playmate and remember she will most likely be curious about you so be patient.
  • Anja R- D'AmbrosioAnja R- D'Ambrosio MapleMember Posts: 668
    edited 16 May, 2007
    First of all..a huge sandpaper kiss to this wonderful human mommy!!;c;;c; How nice to give this little one a new chance at life!! YES!! Now..i do suggest to keep you two separated at first,and to introduce the two of you gradually,to see your reaction..sometimes,the resident cat of the house don't like much share its domain with the new arrival.. Tell mommy not to be scared if you are very loud and nasty,at first..we all do that,then give in.... The new kitty will need some extra TLC and some warm blanket to snuggle in,but most of all,a secure and quiet place to rest... GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE NEW ADDICTION TO THE FAMILY!!|$|=;|$| And God bless you for your good heart..too many humans simply turn their back on needy strays,but we are like any other cat,and we want nothing more than a warm place,some food and someone that cares...so,keep us posted! Love,Biggie:-h
  • D GarmanD Garman RichmondMember Posts: 745
    edited 17 May, 2007
    Hi, I'm said crusty kitten. Thanks for all the great advice and encouragement. I've been to the vet and I"m feeling MUUUCH better. Even more exciting, I've found my "forever" home now and I'm out of Maggie's hair. I liked Maggie ok, but she couldn't stand the smell of me, let alone the sight! Anyway, thought everyone might like to know that I'm beating the crusties! Thanks to all, Jack