Soft Paws

silver ladysilver lady ClaremontMember Posts: 13
edited 21 January, 2006 in Behavior & Training
Soft Paws is a new product that covers our nails so we can't scratch things. It is a safe alternative to declawing! Info about them and prices can be found by doing a simple search for them on the internet. I have them and I am doing very well with them. Mom says they are a God Send, as she was ready to declaw me! Now she doen't have to!

Comments

• jenniecarra andriesjenniecarra andries baton rougeMember Posts: 676
    edited 27 February, 2006
    mommy would never declaw me! she says that us cats are supposed to have claws. thats how we survive if we were ever a stray or ran away. if my nails get too long to too sharp that they keep snagging on her shirt when she holds me, she simply clips them.
  • Zinnia SantosZinnia Santos Miami/Ft. LauderdaleMember Posts: 232
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I've been wondering about soft paws. Mom wouldn't declaw me either but it's not easy to clip my claws either. Is the product good or can I chew it off my claws? We should get a forum started on clipping like to hear how others get it done to help my mom out
  • silver ladysilver lady ClaremontMember Posts: 13
    edited 27 February, 2006
    The vet asured my Mom that if I chewed them off, they would 'pass'. I'm not sure what that means, but when mine grew out, I did pull them off. So far Mom hasn't found the ones I chewed off! I don't go outside so Mom would get very upset when I clawed things, which I never understood. I like it much better now that I have SoftPaws, now I don't get wet when I claw stuff!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm glad you found something that works for you, Gabby! Being de-fingered would be terrible. My sis and I get our claws clipped, too. When we were younger, we used to fuss and complain the whole time. Now we're used to it, so we don't mind it TOO much. Especially since we know that we'll always get a special treat as soon as it's over (usually catnip!). : )
  • Lynzie BaldwinLynzie Baldwin Los AngelesMember Posts: 660
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I think Soft Paws are a wonderful product ... that works well on some cats, but not on others. Mom has a friend who uses them with great results on her cats, so she tried them on me. It didn't work. I quickly chewed them off and continued clawing my favorite chair to shreds. After consulting a pet behaviorist, Mom wrapped my favorte clawing chair in aluminum foil ... yep, the WHOLE chair. For a few months it looked like the chair from outer space ... but I hated the sound it made when I tried to claw it, and the way it felt under my feet. Finally, I started using my cat scratcher. Mom unwrapped the chair, and I've left it alone since.
  • Wendy WardWendy Ward TorontoMember Posts: 84
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I was trained when little to use my scratchy post. Get a nice sturdy one, covered with carpet (catnip smells good on it!) and put it close to where you sleep. After you wake up from napping, have a stretch, and a good scratch! This worked for all my mom's kitties! I never have scratched the furniture or drapes.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    The trouble with softpaws is that they have to be stuck on with a super glue type stuff. Mummy said no way would she even try to put them on me and Inky cos the glue would get everywhere and stick to fur and can you imagine me trying to get it off before it was stuck - I'd stick my mouth up! Mummy got some Feliway spray and sprayed the furniture that she wanted us to keep off of and brought us those super kitty scratchers and so far we've been pretty good. No way would she ever declaw us - as someone else said here - it's like cutting off your finger - at the first joint! People get really indignant when you tell them this and how cruel it is but it is banned in most other civilised countries (all of Europe, Australia, NZ and loads of others). I guess the vets here just want to make a bucket of money doing it.
  • silver ladysilver lady ClaremontMember Posts: 13
    edited 27 February, 2006
    It is amazing at how everyone's Moms and Dads have different ways of helping us cats fit into the human world. What works for one may or may not work for another, but it is so neat to see how many different ways there are to make our lives with our humans happier. We are going to use our claws the way we should, which sometimes upsets our humans. For me SoftPaws works. Mom trims my nails and is very good about not putting too much glue in them so it doesn't get all over my hair. She has scratching pads and catnip galore around the house, but I just love to use my claws on everything. So now I can! And you know the best part of getting SoftPaws put on? When Mom has to hold me for 5 minutes afterwards. She cuddles with me and talks to me, then when it is all over I get a shrimp treat! Yummy! I am pleased to read all of the other ways humans use to deal with our need to claw. Our humans are simply so smart sometimes. They love us so much, we are very lucky kitties!
  • Jon PaynterJon Paynter San JoseMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    You all should have your owners learn to clip your own claws. its scary at first, but it gets better. and the money they save by doing it themselves means more treats and toys! -------------------------------- stuff i found works good: - gently press on kitty's paw to bring the claws out where you can see them - if kitty has fuzzy paws -- like cedric -- dip them in some warm water so you can see better - cut quickly, dont give kitty time to squirm - if kitty freaks.. come back to the job later.
  • kate brennankate brennan dirty southMember Posts: 6
    edited 27 February, 2006
    we have a "tower of power" to scratch and play on..it has 3 floors!!!! we still scratch on other stuff too, but mommy got a spray to make us stop..heh..we do it when shes not looking...soo bad!! my parents wouldnt ever get us declawed either...i think its an easy way out of training us, or showing us the right thing to scratch on...heh i love the idea of the space invaders chair idea!!! i think it would be silly...but your right about it feeling weird, it wouldtn be to comfy either right??
  • Cheryl SimsCheryl Sims DallasMember Posts: 869
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I have tried them a few times. I picked one off before I got home. Then I spent all my time chewing my nails. I got a few of the off. It is better than declaw if your mom can put them on. My mom has to have help.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My family is ready to use the soft paws on me. Any suggestions in color for a cat like me? I still want to be stylish. I have lost my bedroom privaleges because I keep scratching the wooden armoire. They have spent money on all kinds of scratching posts and sisal gadgets to no avail. Catnip does nothing for me so that is not even an option to entice me to scratch something else out. So they are willing to try the soft paws on me. I will keep you posted on my experience.
  • Katelyn GuyettKatelyn Guyett IrvineMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My Mama just got the soft paws in the mail and I heard her say that her only concern was that it would bother me since it forces my claws to always be extended and I am not able to retract them. Will this make me walk funny or cause me to bite them off immediately since it will be awkward?
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Tangerine. Well yesterday I got into trouble for scratching the furniture and mom got me softpaws at the local petstore. She put it on me without any problem if I say so myself. This lets me retract my claws it's not extended at all. I don't even notice I have it on. I think you thought that it was extended because in pictures the colored softpaws are easily seen but I got the clear ones and you can't see it unless I am trying to extend my claws like playing rough with dad and I don't scratch him. So far mom's impressed with the product.
  • Katelyn GuyettKatelyn Guyett IrvineMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks Linux! I will tell my mom I think it would be a good idea to try them out and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your help. :)
  • MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Glad to hear all the opinions on this product! It's great to share your experiences...clawing or scratching seem to be the things that get us in the most trouble, even tho' it's just the way we are.