Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Overweight cats

Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
edited 19 May, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
I have three cats, two of which are a little overweight. They're eating Innova Cat & Kitten. Although their weight gain isn't really due to this particular food, I'd like to switch them to something that is better for their weight management. I looked at the Innova reduced fat formula, but it has something like 44% carbohydrates! No thanks. I was thinking about EVO or Wellness CORE, but the levels of protein and fats in those foods really freak me out. I've also read a lot of reviews on how some cats have gotten very sick and developed kidney issues because of those high protein levels. All cats react differently to foods, so how do I know that my babies won't develope those same problems? I realize that foods like EVO are closest to their natural diet, besides raw, but does that neccessarily mean its best for them? I don't know what to do, does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality reduced fat food or food that will not cause them to gain anymore weight? Thanks.

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 17 May, 2007
    Look at calorie content, not just at fat content. High calorie foods, which all dry foods are, will not help your weight at all. To lose weight, limit the amount of calories you eat every day. It is suggested to eat about 20 calories per pound of ideal body weight. It is important to lose the weight slowly. Losing weight too fast can cause serious health problems. Canned and RAW foods can help you lose the extra weight. You can find out the calorie content of canned and dry foods here There was a post some time ago about a feline who lost 8 pounds on a Fancy Feast only diet. Dry food is not good for us at all, though some may disagree. If you must feed some dry, feed a good quality grain-free one and make it a small portion of your daily meal. Feed more canned so that you are not hungry from not enough dry food.
    edited 17 May, 2007
    Look at calorie content, not just at fat content. High calorie foods, which all dry foods are, will not help your weight at all. To lose weight, limit the amount of calories you eat every day. It is suggested to eat about 20 calories per pound of ideal body weight. It is important to lose the weight slowly. Losing weight too fast can cause serious health problems. Canned and RAW foods can help you lose the extra weight. You can find out the calorie content of canned and dry foods here There was a post some time ago about a feline who lost 8 pounds on a Fancy Feast only diet. Dry food is not good for us at all, though some may disagree. If you must feed some dry, feed a good quality grain-free one and make it a small portion of your daily meal. Feed more canned so that you are not hungry from not enough dry food.
  • Monique ReeceMonique Reece CoronaMember Posts: 775
    edited 17 May, 2007
    I'm on a diet right now. My mama switched me from dry Eukanuba Light to Purina Veterinary Formula OM. Our vet said that it would be okay for me to do the OM diet, which is a low-calorie diet, or that it would be okay for me to do the DM diet, which isn't low-calorie, but is high-protein. My mama opted for the OM. I'm mainly on wet food, but i do have a little dry food because sometimes my mama spends the night away from us. The dry food is also OM. My mama also liked to keep a little variety, so she gave me Purina Pro Plan light (wet), which is higher in protein than regular diet food. But then she stopped giving me that because it has wheat gluten in it. We ran out of the OM wet diet food, and Mama just bought some light Innova (wet) to tide us over. She also bought a can of Evo to see if we like that. I guess that either one of those diets is okay. The main thing is to gradually switch over no matter which way you go-- low-cal or high-protein. Switching diets too fast can upset our sensitive tummies and palates. Oh, and i've lost 2 pounds so far%:D%
  • Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
    edited 17 May, 2007
    I've been wanting to put them on a wet food diet, but I just have no idea how i'll switch them. Their whole lives they've eaten dry food, so I have no idea how to transition to wet from dry. Any advice or websites about that?
  • Samba MancusoSamba Mancuso BirminghamMember Posts: 35
    edited 17 May, 2007
    Hi, I'm Samba! I'm the one that lost weight--except now it is 10 pounds, which was my goal--on Fancy Feast. Now, my Dad added in 1/3 cup of dry food (total for the day--he gives it to be in the morning and it is long gone before he gets home from work.) I get 2 or 3 cans of Fancy Feast a day, depending on my appetite. I am still waiting for the Purina people to contact me so I can be their new spokescat--like Jared from Subway.
    edited 18 May, 2007
  • Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
    edited 18 May, 2007
    Thank you very much, Merlin! Now the hardest part, what canned food to choose? It seems that almost all good quality premium canned foods are made by menu foods.
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 18 May, 2007
    We have always had good luck with Purina products. Friskies is, of course less expensive than Fancy Feast. The lowest carb ones are the 'ground' or 'loaf' kinds (like liver and chicken with the blue label) but there are other different textures. Spice liked the ground type as does my Foster, Miss Kitty. Phoebe, however, likes the Prime Filets. Get a few cans of different types and see what they will eat. PS...there are, of course, more 'premium' varieties of Purina...Purina One being the highest. But, after this whole Menu (and other) food scare, it seems that (my opinion here based on what I have seen) PERHAPS the only real difference between 'premium' and some other foods are marketing and price. Of course, check labels and pick those with the most 'real' meat/protein items as the first ingredients.
    edited 18 May, 2007
    An ideal canned food will contain meat as the first few ingredients, not a by-product. Some good brands are Nature's Variety, Innova EVO, Wellness, and Merrick. There are many others. Some brands have fruits and/or veggies but it is usually only a small amount.
  • Monique ReeceMonique Reece CoronaMember Posts: 775
    edited 19 May, 2007
    We\'re gonna get another case of Purina Veterinary Formula OM (wet) (as soon as my mama remembers to order it from the vet), and we\'re going to alternate cans of that with Fancy Feast Chicken. When we run out of Fancy Feast Chicken we\'ll go back to the Pro Plan Light (wet). It\'s funny, because my mama had always turned her nose up at Purina. Now it\'s almost all we eat (except when we run out and my mama forgets to order more).
  • Diane HallwirthDiane Hallwirth PoulsboMember Posts: 20,342
    edited 19 May, 2007
    OM has lots of soy in it and soy is very allergenic to some cats (and dogs). We eat Wellness canned and Orijen dry, but we're sure not losing any weight here...and we don't eat much! About 2 oz of canned a day and 1/3 cup dry a day... Samba, we hope you become the new cool cat "Jared"! Mama almost fell off her chair when she read that post!:))!:h: