HELP I\"VE GOT ANTS

Stacey AllenStacey Allen Atlanta/Georgetown/eufaulaMember Posts: 21
edited 20 May, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
me and momma live in the deep south and we have a bad ant problem. they are everywhere. does anyone have a suggestion to keep the ants out of my food, its mine, not theirs. please help me and mommy:^:

Comments

• sharon popeksharon popek knoxvilleMember Posts: 543
    edited 11 May, 2007
    We've got ants too. Momma put out some of those little ant bait things, they supposedly draw the ants away from your food, then they take the poison back to their home and kill everybody else. As of right now, they seem to be working. But be sure you don't play with those things, they are not good for kitties. Your Mom can also try spraying ant poison on the perimeter of the house, outside only of course.
  • Carmen JohnstonCarmen Johnston Member Posts: 26
    edited 13 May, 2007
    sometimes we get little black ants that try to come eat our food, daddy found out ants do not like the scent or feel of baby powder so he sprinkles around the wall along the carpet and kitchen sliding door. its harmless and it doens't smell bad and its cheap, could also spraying vinegar/water mix, ants aren't supposed to like vinegar and its supposed to confuse them when they are making their scent trails. so far so good!
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 13 May, 2007
    To keep them out of your food you could put your food dish inside of a pie pan that has some water in it. Ants can't swim. To kill the ants, mom likes to use 'Orange Guard." It's safe for use around kids and pets and it works. It even smells like oranges. She gets ours at the hardware store but has also seen it online.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 May, 2007
    When we lived in an apartment that had ants, mom kept them out of our dishes by putting a ring of Vaseline around the outside of the bowls, just under the rim.
  • Jon PaynterJon Paynter San JoseMember Posts: 24
    edited 14 May, 2007
    ive used the food dish in a pan of water too. It works great. Once the ants stayed out of kitty food, and the apt was kept clean of human food.. they got hungry and left.
  • Dana DunnDana Dunn Member Posts: 2,587
    edited 14 May, 2007
    Since we've gotten all this rain, we've been getting ants really bad too. Happens every year when we get our first bad rain. Mom uses something called Terro. It is ant poison and it is also poisnonous to humans and animals so if anyone uses it make sure no animals, other than the ants can get to it. That being said, that Terro stuff works like a dream! Mom gets it at Wal-Mart, but other stores probably have it too.
  • Mia McGregorMia McGregor South FloridaMember Posts: 69
    edited 14 May, 2007
    I wouldn't suggest using any poisons orpoisonous baits because it is possible even the dead ants may be left lying around and kitty may try to eat them loaded with poison...The vaseline thing around the bowl and the water around the bowl usually work well. Petco has a special thing you can put underneath the food bowl (you fill it with water ). You could probably find solutions on the web also...
  • Sharon MurphySharon Murphy SurreyMember Posts: 1,652
    edited 15 May, 2007
    If they're pharoah ants, the water will attract them. Alaidh and I used to live in an apartment that had them and they would congregate under her water bowl! It was horrible. Since Alaidh is an older kitty who doesn't get into anything anymore, I got some ant poison syrup. It only got rid of them for a few months, though. They kept coming back, so we moved. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck!!
  • S- HirtleS- Hirtle HalifaxMember Posts: 24
    edited 20 May, 2007
    I have ants around my food too, some great advice you have! Mommy bought something called Insectigone Ant Killer. Its a dust and its pet friendly. It sort of has worked, but there are a few persistent ants around still. Cinnamon is supposed to work too, and great advice from everyone else!