Recommendations for food to feed after prescription diet....

Judy LinJudy Lin New YorkMember Posts: 33
edited 25 May, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Daisy was put on a prescription diet of Royal Canin IVD Duck and Green Pea after having a serious stomach problems back in January and February. At the time, the vet thought that she had food allergies and/or IBD. However, in March when we learned of the Menufood recalls, both myself and the vet began to think her stomach problems stemmed from eating Nutro kitten food. Now that her stomach problems have disappeared from being exclusively on the Duck and Green Pea formula, I want to try to start slowly introducing some non-prescription food into her diet. I really want to feed her a high quality food but with the continued recalls, I\'m apprehensive to try new brands. Has anyone been in a situation like Daisy and what are you feeding your cat now?

Comments

• Elissa PalaciosElissa Palacios Houston, TexasMember Posts: 2
    edited 23 May, 2007
    My boys were put on the Royal Canin dry formula for urinary tract health before I adopted them (about a month ago). It looks like the only Royal Canin cat food formula that is being recalled is the "Hypoallergenic HP 23" formula, so our kitties should be in the clear. More info on the Royal Canin web site: http://www.royalcanin.us/questionsandanswers.html As soon as I saw Royal Canin on the recall list yesterday, I went out and bought a bag of Purina One Special Care Urinary Tract Health dry food. The boys LOVE it, and I trust that Purina brands will not be affected by the recall, as they have stated that they rigorously test for the presence of melamine in their foods. I just hope it's as effective as the RC formula. Purina One also has a "Sensitive Systems" formula, which may be good for Daisy. More on their brands here: http://www.purinaone.com/products_main_cat.asp So, what do you think? Will you continue to use the Royal Canin food, since it's not directly mentioned in the recall? I know it's not on the list, but I'm still nervous. I don't know what to do... :-/
  • Karyn LehmannKaryn Lehmann redlandsMember Posts: 247
    edited 23 May, 2007
    try California natural herring & sweet potato. 1 protien, 1 grain (if you consider sweet potato a grain). No chemicals or by-products or fillers. Purina may not be recalled but they do not get my vote of confidence.
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 May, 2007
    Although California Natural has not been recalled, the wet is made by Menu Foods. I am enjoying Merrick and Felidae. And I eat VeRUS Feline Advantage for my dry. All can be ordered from www.PetFoodDirect.com if you don't have a local store that carries them. Petco and Petsmart don't carry holistic brands.
  • Breanna LoweryBreanna Lowery ToledoMember Posts: 80
    edited 25 May, 2007
    I have heard good things about Solid Gold Katz n Flockn and Wellness. Solid Gold is all natural and cats and kittens can eat it.