How do you know if your kitty is in pain?

Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
edited 30 May, 2007 in Cat Health
Hi this is Matilda again. I have another post in Cat Health about my hyperthyroidism and renal failure. Mom just isn't sure how to tell if I am in any pain. Does anyone know?

Comments

• Liz LaButeLiz LaBute Liberty Twp(Cincinnati)Member Posts: 17,745
    edited 28 May, 2007
    well when I was in pain, I would hide a lot. That's usually good sign. They say that we try to hide from the pain. When you talk to the vet tomorrow ask them what they think. Good luck!
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 28 May, 2007
    I think that Sparky is right...if Matilda is not hiding and seems happy to be with you then she is probably okay. It seems that they say telltale signs are taking no interest in things that they normally liked. You can't really tell just by a diminished appetite since that is so common in seniors. But definitely ask the vet.
  • Marta GasperMarta Gasper FairburyMember Posts: 636
    edited 29 May, 2007
    Yep kitties in pain hide..if the pain is sudden they might yowl (no time to hide) I do that sometimes when a piece of food touches my gums (had most of my pearly whites removed sometime ago)..my foster Meowmy didn't know what was going at first but she figured it out. If we're around walking our face changes if we are in pain but mostly we hide.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 30 May, 2007
    http://www.petplace.com/cats/pain-in-cats/page1.aspx # Some signs that are associated with pain include the following: # Altered behavior – quieter than normal, avoidance of other animals or people, hiding, aggressive behavior, fear biting, mental dullness and depression, agitation, restlessness, pacing # Altered movement or gait – lameness, reluctance to move, reluctance to get up, wobbliness, abnormal carriage or use of one or more legs, stiffness # Vocalization – meowing, howling, moaning, groaning, absence of purring # Decreased or lack of appetite (anorexia) # Increased respiratory rate # Increased heart rate # Shock, collapse