BARF Diet for kitties

Kim LindemanKim Lindeman Member Posts: 158
edited 14 January, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
Mom used to feed Lacey the BARF diet before she passed over to the rainbow bridge. She wants to get us on it, but doesn't know how much to feed us per day. Can you give any suggestions? Is it ok to use chicken livers, ground meat, fish, and wings, or does she have to use other things as well?

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    There is many different ways to feed a raw diet to cats but this is the one that we use. http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.html
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Why would anykitty want to eat barf??
  • Kim LindemanKim Lindeman Member Posts: 158
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thank you! Excellent resource :)
  • jen clarkjen clark StrongsvilleMember Posts: 1,099
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I really try NOT to Barf... I don't get it? One time I dunked my paw in meowmie's cereal milk when she wasn't looking and I felt barf coming on and she chased me around with a paper towel... then the dad picked me up and put me in my liter box and I barfed. EEEEWWEE! ooooooh hellooooo there Ben! ::Blushes:: Really, is that BARF diet good for us kitties? I'm clueless about it.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    The term BARF is an acronym for either 'bones and raw food' or 'biologically appropriate raw food'. Frankly, we don't care for the term but when people speak of the BARF diet, they are refering to a diet that's formulated by Dr. Ian Billinghurst. You can read more about this particular feeding method in his book 'The Barf Diet: For Cats & Dogs'. Just because an animal eats a raw diet doesn't mean they eat the BARF diet. I've posted in my previous post the diet we eat and mom has chosen that recipe because it does not include vegetables like the BARF diet does. We cats are carnivores plain and simple so mom wishes to feed us a species appropriate diet. This is not to say that feeding cats veggies is wrong and many cats do wonderfully on a raw diet that includes veggies and even grains. This is just a prime example that there's more than one way to do things 'right' and each cat parent needs to explore the options and choose the best route for their cat.