HELP! Torn toenail!

Katie BrundageKatie Brundage West Coast, USAMember Posts: 13
edited 2 June, 2007 in Cat Health
Has anyone dealt with a torn toenail on your kitty? Harriet got her paw caught on a something either today or yesterday, and as a result, has torn her back toenail down to the nail quick. It was bleeding (it\'s since stopped), and I tried to clean it off as best as I could, but understandably, she\'s in pain and won\'t let me touch her foot (she tries to bite me). I don\'t want to hurt her, but I want to take care of it so it doesn\'t get infected. I made an appointment to take her to the vet tomorrow AM, but I wanted to see if there\'s anything I can do at home in the meantime. Thanks, Harriet\'s mom :(

Comments

• Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 1 June, 2007
    There is not much you can do. The vet may decide to start you on antibiotics to prevent infection. Torn nails are very painful and until the nail starts to regrow (which it will) it may be sensitive. Your vet may want you to soak the foot in solution (they can provide) several times a day for a couple of day. I'd leave it be until your appt. If it starts to bleed again, you may need to go in today to get a bandage placed.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 1 June, 2007
    Ouch ::o If the claw starts to bleed again, apply a little corn starch to help stop the bleeding. Styptic powder is better but corn starch or even flour will work in a pinch. Most Humans don\'t have styptic powder around anyways. I don\'t think there is anything else you can do until the vet appointment. A torn claw must hurt a lot. Sending purrs to you.
  • Katie BrundageKatie Brundage West Coast, USAMember Posts: 13
    edited 1 June, 2007
    Thanks for the ideas and purrs..... I just re-examined it covertly (she\'s sleeping on my bed), and it looks like she managed to remove the torn part herself; it\'s not bleeding, but it looks painful--my poor baby! So we\'ll take her in tomorrow to have it taken care of. If it starts bleeding again, though, I\'ll bring her in as an emergency appt. this afternoon...Right now I\'m going to go see if there\'s any antibiotic ointment made esp. for kitties at the pet store... Thanks for your purrs, and I\'ll let you know how she\'s doing. Harriet\'s mom
  • Kim WashburnKim Washburn LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,057
    edited 2 June, 2007
    Good luck, but I'm pretty sure you will be fine. One of my grandmommy's kitties escaped one time and got lost. It was horrible, and when we found him, he'd gotten in a fight and totally ripped out two of his back toenails. Since he'd been gone four days, they had started to heal already and the vet said they were ok. In time, they grew back in and he didn't have any problems at all. I'm sure it hurts, but you can expect that to stop after a short while. Sometimes, depending on the damage, they won't grow back, but it sounds like yours will since you only tore it. Please let us know what the vet says and keep us posted about when you get that toenail back. Purrs for a speedy recovery, Jack
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 2 June, 2007
    OMG One time Leaf was chasing me around the house like crazy. I was running away from him and I ran up the ladder to the loft where mom and dad sleep. He of course ran up there too, so laid down at the top of the ladder and decided to face him. He pounced on me and pushed me off the loft! I hung on for dear life where the ladder is connected to the wall and I tore my nail trying to hang on. It was bleeding and I was limping a bit, but mom kept an eye on it and it grew back on its own. I did my own manicure by biting and trimming it myself. Now I am fine but that really sucked!