Vomiting

J NaniJ Nani NewburghMember Posts: 3
edited 4 June, 2007 in Cat Health
There'll be times when after he eats food, an hour or so later he'll vomit it back up. Why does this happen?

Comments

• Michelle BrunnerMichelle Brunner BlairsvilleMember Posts: 11,194
    edited 3 June, 2007
    You said "They'll be several times" that Samuel will throw up. How often is he throwing up exactly? I noticed he is 7 years old. If this is something he hasn't always done, I would really have your vet check him out. It may not be anything to worry about, but you'll have the peace of mind knowing it. Vomiting can be a cause for concern. I started throwing up about a year ago and the vet found I have Irritable Bowel Disease. So that doesn't mean Samual has that. I'm just saying I think I'd have him checked out. I really hope he starts to feel better. Please keep us posted!
  • Jennifer BroomeJennifer Broome GainesvilleMember Posts: 2
    edited 4 June, 2007
    It could be nothing but a hairball. Some cats vomit when extremely upset. If you've tried giving him a dose of hairball medicine, and he's still ill, you really need to take him to the vet. Mom keeps a tube of hairball medicine for me - every time I throw up, I get a dose, and I get a dose once a week. Usually, it clears my problems up almost instantly. If he vomits up the medicine, or it doesn't seem to solve his troubles, a vet visit is definitely in order. You should be taking him in that direction once a year anyways - this is something you should definitely bring up if your next visit is soon.
  • Pamela HaneyPamela Haney Old ForgeMember Posts: 893
    edited 4 June, 2007
    When he throws up, is it mushy and somewhat chewed/digested or does the food come back up and look like it was swallowed whole? Sometimes kitties eat too fast and end up throwing it back up. When this happenes it usually looks like the cat swallowed the food whole.
  • J NaniJ Nani NewburghMember Posts: 3
    edited 4 June, 2007
    To answer your quiestion Winter, yes my food does come up looking partially chewed or the same as it went in. And by the way my mommy doesn't exactly know how old I am since I was born into another family.