Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Can\'t Hork Up a Hairball!

Amber GonzlaezAmber Gonzlaez San AntonioMember Posts: 9,175
edited 5 June, 2007 in Cat Health
Kali has been trying to hork up a hairball since Saturday morning. Yesterday I gave her some of that Hartz hairball stuff. No help. She has been breathing fast and kinda shallow since Saturday morning as well. I called the vet but the Dr. is in surgery right now and is going to call me back. Any suggestions from the Super Smart Catsters? Thanks!

Comments

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 4 June, 2007
    Breathing fast and shallow worries me. Is there an emergency clinic you could take her to?
  • Pamela HaneyPamela Haney Old ForgeMember Posts: 893
    edited 4 June, 2007
    The breathing kinda worries me a bit. That doesn't sound right for just a hairball - and trust me... we know hairballs. Please get in touch with a vet ASAP. Have you tried to take the kitties temperature? That might give you a bit more info.
  • Amber GonzlaezAmber Gonzlaez San AntonioMember Posts: 9,175
    edited 4 June, 2007
    Thanks guys! Vet said to keep administering Hartz hairball today and see if there is any change. If by tomorrow she is still the same to take her in. BTW: Kali is dry coughing like with a hairball, several times she has almost horked it but then swallowed real quick again. Bummer! Don't have a kitty thermometer. And she would probably scratch my eyes out even if I did! Thanks for the suggestions and help, I really appreciate it!|:| I was up with her all night last night, poor baby!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 June, 2007
    Your problem might not be a hairball. Dry heaves and gagging can be symptoms of other problems. In my case, those were once a symptom of a serious kidney infection (my mom thought it was a hairball at first, too). The fact that you're not breathing normally is worrisome. I'm surprised the vet wanted to put off seeing you. Hang in there, Kali! Hopefully you'll be ok! Purring for ya! *PURRS* Arthur
    edited 5 June, 2007
    Thanks Arthur for the kind words!! I am going to the vet in about half an hour. My breathing has gotten a bit better but mama doesn't want to chance it! Thanks for the heads up! I am still dry heaving, but other than that I am completely normal. I even played with my 'little brother' today and was running around the house! Thanks again! |:|
    edited 5 June, 2007
    The vet visit went great. I don't have anything stuck in my throat, and I should continue to get the hairball stuff. I got a small dose of steroids (as much as mama hated to, she wants my breathing to go back to normal. She passed on the antibiotics since I am on a raw diet and dont want to kill the good bacteria as well as the bad. The vet was fine with what I am am fed and said,"Cats are truley carnivores aren't they?" That made us very happy! THE BEST PART: I lost 1 3/4 lbs since January!!!!;c;