Toothache; what to do until seeing vet?

Marta GasperMarta Gasper FairburyMember Posts: 636
edited 6 June, 2007 in Cat Health
Does anybody know what can I do about my gums (and remaining teeth) hurting? I had most removed several weeks ago, I have 9 left. Since last week anything I munch on makes me scream and hide..or I could just be sitting there and yowl, I drool always but as of last checkup vet thought it was normal b/c I've few teeth left. I'll go back to vet but sometimes I don't want to eat even canned food nor baby food b/c it hurts so..my humans wondered if there's anything to do (add water to food?) until I see a vet..thanks!

Comments

• Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 4 June, 2007
    Can you get into the vet today? Since your mouth is so painful that you are not eating, you really should be seen very soon. At the very least, call your vet and ask if pain medication may be necessary until you can get in. Adding water to the food will only make it more watery and you will likely not eat that either. Purring for you!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 June, 2007
    I'm sorry to hear that you're suffering like that, Lionel! :( You're right about going to the vet! You should be healed well enough from your past dental procedures to be eating normally. Something is definitely very wrong if you're in that much pain. Have your human take you in ASAP! I'm not sure what would help with eating for sure. Diluting food with chicken broth, tuna juice or lactase-treated "cat milk" might make it a little smoother. I wonder if spreading the food thin on a plate might help, so you can just lick it and not have to use your teeth? Just an thought. I hope you get to the vet and are all fixed up as good as new soon! *purrs* Beastie
  • Cheryl AyerCheryl Ayer RockportMember Posts: 330
    edited 4 June, 2007
    Oh, I have had this very same problem and I feel for you! What worked for me (after a trip to the vet to make sure there wasn't a broken tooth or an infection) was baby asprin, one every three days. The way mom got me to eat it was pulverizing it and mixing it in with a tablespoon of yummy creamy vanilla ice cream -- easy to eat and swallow. Soon I didn't seem to have any more pain. Please get back to the vet, but in the meantime maybe a baby asprin will help stop the inflammation and pain. Purrrrrrrs to you.
  • Marta GasperMarta Gasper FairburyMember Posts: 636
    edited 5 June, 2007
    Thank-you everybody! The vet will see me this afternoon..I'm eating but not much. She'll ask the vet about baby aspirin, Meowmy won't give me any human med w/o vet approval first, she's seen tragic mistakes otherwise. But baby aspirin sounds right..I'll probably will have to have all teeth removed eventually..will see what vet says..thanks again!
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 6 June, 2007
    How did your visit go today?
  • Marta GasperMarta Gasper FairburyMember Posts: 636
    edited 6 June, 2007
    I'm having surgery tomorrow to remove my remaining teeth..the good ones are infected now & my gums bleed sometimes. My CBC came back OK, a bit anemic b/c I only manage to swallow a few bites everyday..I'm miserable (and look it), vet said no aspirin though.I'll get painkillers instead. I think the litterbox is a good place to hide from pain and sometimes I fall asleep in it. Problem is I drool so I get my chops and forehead (M can't explain that other than my face falls forward on drool-liiter mix? eww) all breaded (litter is corncob) We all hope that removing my teeth will take care of my problems. Thank-you for purrs and I'll keep you updated.
  • edited 6 June, 2007
    Good luck Lionel! My brother Monkey and I recently had some extractions done too, and it wasn't fun. While the doctor assured my mom that I could eat hard food afterwards, I got a lot more wet food than normal for quite a while! That was the best part.
  • Cheryl AyerCheryl Ayer RockportMember Posts: 330
    edited 6 June, 2007
    Lionel, it's not so bad being without teeth. I still catch mice, can eat hard food if mom crushes it up really small, and the best thing is now I get really nice canned food all mushed up and mixed with warm water -- yum! And (plain) yogurt! All with no teeth at all! They started breaking off and falling out when I was young -- around three -- and eventually I had to have them all out, because they were loose and the broken ones were getting infected and as you know it was very painful. What did the vet say about baby asprin for you? Thanks for letting us know how you're doing.