Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Discouraging Weight News

Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
edited 9 June, 2007 in Cat Health
Mommy made me get into the carrier this morning for my annual vaccines and checkup. I have gained two pounds since I was sick in December...so I was 17 pounds this morning. Mommy only gives me a can of wet food and a third of a cup of a high protein dry per day. The vet said I have 'a very efficient metabolism,' which Mommy says she has also...but it really means SLUGGISH and prone to weight gain. The vet said to 'cut me back by 25%,' but Mommy does not think she should cut me back any more. She does, think, however, that she needs to switch the wet food. She knew that the Prime Filets were not the BEST choice for low carbs, but the ones that are better are mostly ground formulas...which I do not like. Well, Mommy told me she was going to start to switch me over to the lower carb ones...and that I will have to learn to like them. Easy for Mommy to say...

Comments

• Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 8 June, 2007
    Mommy here. I found out that 'Dad' was not faithfully measuring that third of a cup of dry like he was supposed to. Today, when Phoebe and I got home from the vet, there was closer to half a cup of dry in the bowl. He promised to measure from now on when he is the first one up. But, I am concerned about the wet food switch. I figure the only two options are either LESS than a 5.5oz can of prime filets (which seems like a pitifully small amount) or a full can of the lower carb options--which are ground. I KNOW she will not eat the ground without a fuss. Any advice on how to help with the switch will be greatly appreciated...since I don't want her to just stop eating all together for too long....although she will still have the 1/3 cup of dry... HELP!
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 8 June, 2007
    I think you should stick with what you are doing, Just be sure that the food actually gets measured. If you are still not losing weight after an accurate diet, then I would consider switching foods. Try the 1/3 cup plus your canned food for a month and see what happens. Purrs!
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 9 June, 2007
    Mom here: Thanks, Hunter. She hadn't eaten anything with the ground mixed in, so I did give her some Prime Filets this morning. The Friskies Prime Filets vary from 13% to 19% of calories coming from carbs. The two 13% ones are Turkey Dinner with Gravy and Ocean Whitefish & Tuna. So, for the next round, we will try just those. Also, she definitely likes several of the Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys Entrees and four of the ones I know she will eat are either 9% or 10% calories from carbs. As much as I hate to spend the extra money with the budget I am on, I will try those as well.