Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Need premium commercial food with TINY kibbles

Shannon BernardShannon Bernard Allegany Co.Member Posts: 269
edited 1 January, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
Hi there kitties, I was recently adopted and have some awful dental problems. My humans have tried to switch me to wet food, and for the whole 4 months I have fought them every step of the way. Mom and dad put out fresh wet food 4Xdaily (because that stuff gets gross quick!) and have tried a whole bunch of different brands and varieties of canned food, but I still like kibble the best and go to great lengths to steal it from the other kitty. Trouble is, I don\'t have many teeth left, and I can\'t really chew kibble, I just gulp it down one piece at a time. My humans have given up and put out some \"Professional\" brand chicken & rice kibble because it\'s so very nice and small, but it\'s only a mediocre quality food and mom insists we find something better even though I like this stuff just fine. Do any of you eat or know of a premium kibble that has really tiny pieces but no corn or byproducts? I\'d really like to hear from you!

Comments

• Lorraine BrinerLorraine Briner Member Posts: 4,098
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hiya Lucy! Royal Canin makes a Baby Cat formula cat food that has a very tiny kibble size. It's easier for kittens with milk teeth to chew. I see you're 4 years old, though so you may want to talk to your vet to make sure it's OK to feed you kitten food first. I can say that I really like this food, as The Lady fed it to me when I was a wee baby. Here's a link to get you started if you're interested. http://www.feline-nutrition.com/babycat.htm Good luck! Sneaks
  • Julia HarrisJulia Harris Member Posts: 185
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Go! Natural (made by Petcurean) is an EXCELLENT natural kibble with really small sized pieces :)
  • Shannon BernardShannon Bernard Allegany Co.Member Posts: 269
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks to you two for giving me some ideas. I hadn't even thought of kitten food before, but it most certainly would have nice small pieces. Mom's not sure though because adult and kitten food seem to be formulated differently for a reason. We will definitely do some research into this idea though. Thanks! Re: Go! Natural--we remember them having food recalls a few years ago, but it seems like it was only the Texas manufacturer, which petcurean promptly closed down. Their food is safe now, we hope? That is just the sort of food mom's looking for otherwise. Thank you!
  • florencia mazzaflorencia mazza banfieldMember Posts: 10
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Royal Canin or Proplan premium for kittens should works fine. But you have to be aware that kitten food has a lot of vitamins that grown ups don't, so it will get you a bit fat... your mommie will have to check how much you can have per day. Royal and Proplan taste both really goood!
  • Julia HarrisJulia Harris Member Posts: 185
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yup Lucy, Petcurean did have that gafuffle a few years ago, but their food is great now! Nothing to worry about :)
  • Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Lucy. Mommy switched me to Wellness. It is high quality, no by-products, small kibble. And their wet food is one of only two brands I will eat. The other is Merrick. My favorites are the Turducken and Thanksgiving Dinner. Merrick is coming out with a dry food any day now. It should be high quality but I'm not sure about kibble size. Good thing about Merrick is free shipping. Both Wellness and Merrick are sold at specialty stores in my area, which is pretty small. You should be able to find either fairly close to you, where ever you are.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    I don\'t think there is anything wrong with adult cats eating kitten food. In the wild, we don\'t have special mice or birds for kittens to eat, do we? High quality kitten foods are usually more nutritionally dense than adult formulas, so you may find that you need to eat less to meet your needs. That seems like a good thing for a cat who is having trouble eating. Papini, I\'ve never heard that vitamins make you fat. Obesity is caused by eating more calories than you burn. If you are or become overweight, your humans need to limit the size of your meals, regardless of what food you are eating.
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Lucy the beautiful. I, like you have mouth trouble. Warm (mom) found that I can eat Nutro Natural Choice Kitten. It's in a pink bag. A little pricey, but hey . . . at least I can eat it!! *smiles*
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Sweetie, that\'s some great stuff! I grew up eating Nutro Natural Choice Kitten. I give it two paws up. It\'s very yummy.
  • Shannon BernardShannon Bernard Allegany Co.Member Posts: 269
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks for all your suggestions...sorry I've been away from the forums for a while. I wanted to clear up that I'm not having trouble eating; actually I'm a bit chubby and mom is trying to encourage me to lose a little weight through activity while still allowing me to free-feed. So far it's going pretty well. Anyhoo, mom's just worried about minimizing risk of choking. It seems that many kitten foods have about the same calories per cup, or even fewer per cup, than what we currently eat! Can you believe it? For instance Chicken Soup kitten food has 339 kcal/cup with 34% pro and 22% fat while the adult food we eat has 380 kcal/cup with 32% pro and 21% fat. Before I came along, Ruby had started on Chicken Soup adult and mom really liked that food, so we are using that as our standard...and the kitten and adult varieties really do look about the same. But only the sixth ingredient on the list is different--where the adult food adds rice, the kitten food adds fish meal...the rest of the ingredients are the same. We were more concerned about vitamins and minerals in kitten vs adult foods...we want to make sure that we don't upset a delicate balance. Since all of the foods look about the same though we think we're going to go ahead with the kitten food! Thanks for the ideas!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Ben has been eating the Nutro Natural Choice Kitten and it's yummy! When mommy feeds him in the bedroom, Arthur and I hang around outside the door and beg for some. She'll usually give us two or three of the kibbles each so we don't feel left out. They are small enough that I swallow them whole without chewing! Arthur chews them, but he is a dork. ;-)
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    HIya Bea! Yep, thats what we eat too - Nutro Natural Choice, but in the Adult formula. It is tasty!! *licks lips*