Hot Spots

Heidi NeldnerHeidi Neldner Member Posts: 1
edited 10 June, 2007 in Cat Health
Is there anything my mommy can do for my itchy hot spot?? she was talking about taking me to the doctor again, but I begged her not to!! this is the 2nd time I got this darn thing and it itches like crazy!! My grandma told mommy to try some cornstarch on it, but i dont like it, so every time she puts it on, i lick it right off. i really dont want to go see the doctor, but if no one else has any ideas, i guess i will just have to suck it up and go... thanks in advance for any advice for my mommy!!

Comments

• Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 9 June, 2007
    Jade, I don't know much about hot spots...I am sure some kitty who dies will post soon. I just hope you feel better soon. Are there any antihistimines that can be given to kitties? I know that vets will sometimes give injections to help with the itching, but who wants to go to the vet all the time? Is there something Jade can get at home?
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 9 June, 2007
    Acute moist dermatitis, also known as hot spots, are localized, moist, reddened bacterial infections of the skin. A hot spot starts because something irritates the skin. The body's response is either to itch or become inflamed. The itching then causes you to lick or chew the area, which further damages the skin, and creates a cycle of itching, scratching and chewing. Hot spots can be caused by anything that irritates the skin and initiates an itch-scratch cycle, but the most common irritants are fleas. Other causes are allergies (flea, inhalant, food), parasitic disease (sarcoptic and demodectic mange), anal gland disease, poor grooming, tick and mosquito bites, burrs, and summer heat. They are more prevalent during the summer months. Typical locations for "hot spots" are the side of the face and the flank areas. Treatment for acute moist dermatitis may include one or more of the following: *Clipping and cleaning of the affected areas. Lesions often are more extensive than they initially appear. Clipping the hair in the area is important to allow proper cleaning of the affected skin. Antibacterial solutions (chlorhexidine) or drying solutions (Burrow's solution) combat infection and decrease pruritus (itchiness). *Interruption of the pruritic cycle. This is crucial to successful treatment. Once the cycle has been triggered, it is important to stop it so as to prevent self-mutilation. Orally-administered cortisone-like drugs often are used for a short period of time to make you more comfortable. #*Secondary bacterial infection must be treated when present. In some cases, damage is so extensive that bacteria proliferate, resulting in secondary infection. In such instances, an antibiotic may be prescribed for 2 to 3 weeks. #*Identification and treatment of the underlying cause is important to prevent recurrent episodes of acute moist dermatitis. Most cases are secondary to flea allergy and aggressive flea control usually is necessary. (Advantage or Frontline)
  • D PD P The Big AppleMember Posts: 18
    edited 10 June, 2007
    Hi, I hope you\'re feeling better! Just a suggestion, but it\'s possible the itchies are from a food allergy?