Reduce shedding?

Judy LinJudy Lin New YorkMember Posts: 33
edited 15 June, 2007 in Grooming
Even though Daisy is a shorthair cat, she sheds all over. I have a red coach and her fur is all over the place (not the most attractive for guests). I brush her at least once a week either with the Furminator or Zoom Groom (I can\'t brush her every day because she hates it). Both are awesome as it does remove a lot of fur. But she\'s still shedding like crazy. I feed her Evangers and by Natures Organics so it\'s not a matter of nutrition. Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce her shedding?

Comments

• jess whitejess white Member Posts: 12
    edited 7 June, 2007
    Hi Daisy :-h Shedding generally means your healthy, If your sick you usua;;y will not shed. I dont shed much but my brother Mason(AKA garfield) shed enough for the both of us and then some. He is a shorthair persian. Do you like to sit in a window or do you go outside at all? Being exposed to the sun triggers you to shed also. A daily Brushing sounds like it is something that needs to be done, dont worry though it wont take long,five minutes max,i promise. I takes longer on me because of my coat(very long right now) and let me tell you i have better things to do than be brushed((**giving my mom the evil eye right now**)) If you are shedding all the time (meaning all year round) you might have a food allergy or dust allergy. Check with your vet, she can prescribe a pill with Omega-3 that will help your coat as well. i hope this is helpful and may your coach bag be hair free in no time. Mom says to try a lint roller,they work wonders on purses and such! Love, Matilda-Lou
  • Shellie DeanShellie Dean BadenMember Posts: 330
    edited 7 June, 2007
    My mom uses the Furminator on me a couple times a week, but I still shed a good bit right now; sister Lucy is a short-haired kitty and she hardly sheds at all. Anyway, mom keeps an old blanket on the couch where we lay and takes it off before company comes, but there\'s always some hair there, even after vacuuming. If people don\'t care for cat (and dog) hair, they\'re coming to the wrong house! After all, why else would they call it FURniture??:)):))
  • Christine UnversawChristine Unversaw EvanstonMember Posts: 3,321
    edited 15 June, 2007
    Hehe, I shed alot too. I've got really thin fur and when mom pets me..it just kinda comes right off. Mom brushes me twice a day and that helps, but we have yet to find something that really works. If we figure something out, we'll let you know!
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 June, 2007
    Just started using this today and can't believe it! Mom bought The Furminator. It looks pricey at $25 but let me tell you, you will never need a groomer. I already look 2 pounds lighter. Mom used it and before you knew it, there was a giant furball that looked like a mini-me! It does everything it says it will. You can't use it for mats but once those are gone, it's amazing. And now that we have it, she won't need to shave me either! I feel wonderful with a much lighter coat! Also, since I've been eating VeRUS holistic dry food (almost 2 years now) I don't shed as much, am much healthier and use less insulin! http://www.furminator.com