Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Nature\'s Recipe?

Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
edited 19 January, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
I was wondering if any other cats out there ate Nature\'s Recipe Adult Maintenance. If you do be warned that they have slightly changed the formula which has affected the taste. Mom bought a 20lb bag yesterday and I won\'t touch a single morsle. She called the company and they are being very kind and refunding her money but that doesn\'t help me not having any food! I hope we can come up with another good tasting food. I am hungry!

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My sis, Beastie, and I have been eating Nature's Recipe Senior and it's good, we like it a lot and it doesn't bother Beastie's sensitive stomach. The trouble is, when mommy went to the store last time to get us food, all the Senior formula was on clearance and she didn't see any on the regular shelves. So, we're not sure if they're going to keep making it or if the store is just not going to carry it anymore. :-( Our foster brother, Ben, eats Nutro Natural Choice Kitten formula and the Beast and I go crazy for that! It's yummy stuff! I'm not sure if we love it because it's richer than our food, because we get jealous that Ben eats seperately from us and mommy won't let us have more than a kibble or two of his food, or because the Nutro stuff is just really tasty, but we always come running and beg for a taste when mommy feeds Ben. So, mommy's thinking that if she can't find the Nature's Recipe next time, she might just switch us to the Nutro Natural Choice for older cats. We'll see if that's as yummy as the kitten stuff! Just a note about me and the Nutro...Ben used to eat Nutro Max Cat Kitten and mommy took him off that because if I got any of it, even one little bite, it made me throw up. The Natural Choice doesn't do that to me, even though they're both Nutro. I'm not sure if it's because there's such a huge difference in the formula, or if I'm just weird. ;-) Good luck finding a new food!
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks Arthur. Mom is going to try some of the suggestions you made. MeOW!
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Diego, sometimes the big pet stores have tiny sample bags of different types of food. Maybe you could have your mom buy a bunch of those and see if you like any of them. Arthur, I hate to tell you this but I heard that Nature\'s Recipe is discontinuing the senior formula. If you\'re weird, I must be too but in the opposite way. I barf Nutro Natural but do fine with Nutro Max. It\'s odd because the ingredients for Natural and Max are quite similar.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yeah, Alex--we suspected that the Nature's Recipe Senior might be history when mommy could only find in on clearance. :-( She just bought us an 8 lb bag so that will last for a little while, I guess when that's gone, we'll try the Nutro Natural. That's funny about the Max Cat vs. Natural Choice thing! I guess we are both weird. Hehe! ;-)
    Be sure to transition to your new food slowly, so you don\'t get a tummy ache. I know you already know that, but there may be someone else reading this who doesn\'t.
  • Stuart AsbelStuart Asbel The Shellies Memorial Home forMember Posts: 3,367
    edited 27 February, 2006
    If Nature's Recipe is anything like the dog formula it has tomato pumace in it. Tomatoes aren't good for us, and the FDA has acceptable amounts of DDT that can be present in tomatoes used in cat and dog food.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mommy just re-read the ingredients on both the Nature's Recipe and the Nutro, and neither listed tomato as an ingredient. The Nutro stuff does sound more appetizing, though. :-)
  • Shelly DucharmeShelly Ducharme Member Posts: 38
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We don't eat the Nature's Recipe dry, but we LOVE the canned julienned ones (mom and dad call them "shreddies" -- we all go NUTS for them!!). However, we noticed that the shreddies are different recently too -- smaller pieces of meat, more gravy......we still like them though!!
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    HI Alex & Arthur!! Good to see you two here! *smiles* We all eat the Nutro Natural Choice as well. Warm says she can notice a remarkable difference in our fur since we have been eating it. (about a yr now) The Nutro Max upset my stomach too Arthur!! Soooo if you're weird, I guess that means I am too. heehee
    I just did a quick comparison of the ingredients of Nutro Max and Natural Choice. The only thing that really jumped out at me was that Max contains wheat and Natural Choice doesn\'t. Arthur and Sweetie, I wonder if you might be sensitive to wheat?
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks Alex!! Thats something to consider.