Ear problem

Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
edited 17 June, 2007 in Cat Health
So, Mom took me to the vet today. I came to live with her a week ago and today was the day for shots and neutering. She also had me tested for FeLV and FIV (negative-yeah!!). So now I'm home and a little tired from the surgery, but Mom's bigger concern is my ear. She had the vet check my ears because she thought I might have mites as one of them looked quite dirty. The vet said no mites, but that when they were checking my ear it started to bleed (not just a little, but quite a bit according to the vet). The vet thinks I may have had a polyp that broke or may have had an abscess from some kind of infection, so he had started me on antibiotics as a precaution. He told mom to watch me for signs that my ear was bothering me or for indications that my balance is off. Of course, right now my balance is a little off because I'm recovering from the anestetic for the surgery. Any other things mom should be watching for? Has anyone else had this type of problem? We are hoping there isn't any further problems, but the vet said my eardrum might have been ruptured at some time.

Comments

• Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 16 June, 2007
    I'm gad you found a forever home. Sorry you had to go into the vet and have all that stuff done. There is not much to add from what your vet says. An ear polyp or a ruptured eardrum should cause you to have some balance issues. have your mom watch you for the next week to see if you are exhibiting any symptoms of balance loss. You also may tilt your head to that side. This could be from irritation or pain. Have you mom note these also and report them to your vet.
  • Irene CoughlinIrene Coughlin Jamaica,Queens, New YorkMember Posts: 160
    edited 17 June, 2007
    Hey Mufasa, I am going to go for ear surgery too soon. I also have a polyp that bleeds. I am about 12 years old, so mommy\'s a little concerned about me going for surgery. Also I need to gain a pound, it\'s going to be harder & slower because I\'m old. But, I got some good advice from The nice folks at Catster & the vet about how to go about gaining some more weight. Could you please let me know how the recovery is coming along, and how are Mufasa\'s ears now? Thanks, I would appreciate that. Feel Better Mufasa |bb|