Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

why you no use hills cat food ?

David EsquivelDavid Esquivel São PauloMember Posts: 6
edited 17 March, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
hills is american label, have tradiction, why i not see cats eating this food in this forum ? this food not recomended ?

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    There are lots of ideas about what are the best things to feed a cat. I think it is important for cats to have lots of protein. A lot of the Hill\'s varieties contain a lot of corn/maize and not as much of other ingredients like chicken or turkey. So, for me, I like to give my cats something with more meat or poultry in it. Also, one of my cats got sick eating Hill\'s. :-( Then I fed him Nutro and he was better. :-)
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I think there are some cats here who eat Hills. I don't think owners care so much about where the food company is from, they care more about what they feel is right for their cats. :-)
  • David EsquivelDavid Esquivel São PauloMember Posts: 6
    edited 27 February, 2006
    unfortunaly in brazil no have nutro, if i live in usa my choice are wysong, wysong appears to me very very good food. www.wysong.net
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Looks like Wysing is pretty good. Mom wants to put us on Felidae. Right now we're on Purina Pro Plan, which turns out to be more expensive.
    I agree with you. Wysong is a very good food. I would rather feed that than Hill\'s.
  • Tihana GoricnikTihana Goricnik ZagrebMember Posts: 126
    edited 27 February, 2006
    It's interesting... Here in Croatia, Hills is considered the best food available. We all absolutely adore it. But along with IAMS and Royal Canine, it's also the most expensive cat (dog) food, so we don't eat it very often. Here we have variety of european manufactured foods, quality varies from product to product, and we are very picky. If you ask me, I choose Hills.
  • Sarah WeedenSarah Weeden WinnipegMember Posts: 527
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Because Hill's is crap. I refuse to feed itto my pets. OMG, you live in Croatia? I've been there! My family tried to move there (my dad's big ideas), but it didn't work out. Where abouts do you live? Split is beautiful.
  • Tihana GoricnikTihana Goricnik ZagrebMember Posts: 126
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Willow, I'll try to list all the pet foods available here, so please tell me which one is the best (starting with most expensive ones): IAMS (?) Hills (made in Netherlands) Royal Canine (made in US) Purina Cat Chow (unfortunately not available recently, we liked it a lot) Sheba (wet food only) Animonda (Germany) Bewicat (not sure) Whiskas, Friskies, Kitekat (made in one of the newest EU members, like Hungary or Poland, LOWER quality than for the western European countries) Darling some italian food brands etc. Not much, huh? But really, (cross my heart), Hills is the TOP food here. Mama thinks they put some kind of additive inside that makes us addicted to it. I don't know about that, I just love to eat it. From time to time when my Mama gets the free sample from our local petshop. ;-) BTW, we live in Zagreb and our parents have been to Split lots of times (but never to Canada).
  • Anne WhitehurstAnne Whitehurst LongmontMember Posts: 5,024
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I thought Hills \' Science Diet was supposed to be one of the best. Our vets always recommended it. I have Science Diet for hairball control as the dry food always in my dish. The Fancy Feast I love so much is a treat I get morning and night.
    Olja, I\'m not familiar with all the foods you listed. Of the ones that I recognise, I think Royal Canin is the best. Just my own opinion. You are such a smart kitty that I know you can decide for yourself. If the ingredients include lots of grains (corn/maize, wheat, etc.) and by-products, that\'s not such a good food for a cat. If there is animal protein (chicken, turkey, lamb, etc.) as the first and second ingredients, that\'s a better food to meet our needs.
  • Sally WrightSally Wright DenverMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Lucie, vets recommend Science Diet because they're the ones who sponser the nutrition classes when they're still in school and because Science Diet gives them alot of rebate kinds of things for selling their product. What makes that food (and others) "addictive" is the corn/grains. It's like people eating junk food. Sure isn't good for us, but it tastes so good! Innova is the best food out there (I've heard it called the closest thing to a raw diet without going raw), but there are other excellent foods out there that fall within the same price range as Science Diet and Iams. If you're going to spend the money for a premium cat food, you may as well do some research and get a good one. There have been some really good threads on the topic here, if you want to take a little bit of time to look through the archives. :) ~Kenya and Simone's mom
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'd say Royal Canin is the best one that you listed, Olja. Hill's Science Diet is NOT a good food. The only reasons vets recommend it and sell it is because they are paid to and they get free lunches out if, etc. Secondly, vets do not recieve nutrition courses in university, but if they do get them, they are taught by Hill's.
  • Wendy HutchisonWendy Hutchison Member Posts: 46
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I have to agree that after many years of my baby being on science diet because I was told it was good food (at least better than the regular store brands), him getting very sick last fall and my finding this site and from here the Naturo and Nutro sites, reading ingredients that SD is not really all that good. For you, given the choices, I too would go with the Royal Canin. My kitty gets California Naturals Chicken and Rice dry. He's older and does have a sensitive tummy, as well as a weak kidney. The CN seems to be much better for him.
  • rhonda marcelissenrhonda marcelissen Member Posts: 139
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We use Innova and Eagle Pack. My homeopath/Vetrinarian reccomends this for a long life for us 4 cats. We all used to eat Hills diet kind, and then Seema got very ill and and was dying. Mommy found this new Vet/Homeopath and he put her on these meds and changed our diet right away. She's just fine now. I would never use Science diet ever again, it's very hard on our bodies, especially our Organs. We wouldn't even feed it to strays!
  • November OchoaNovember Ochoa San DiegoMember Posts: 51
    edited 8 March, 2006
    Olja, I live in the Philippines and we also don't have a lot of choices. We are lucky enough to have Royal Canin, though, and sometimes we find Pet Guard canned in some supermarkets. (but they are so inconsistent in stocking up). When my mommy first adopted me (in the U.S.) the vet also recommended Hill's so she thought it must be the best since the doctor said so. This was NOT, however, the food recommened by the SPCA where I was adopted from (they recommended Felidae) and so I got diarrhea from the Hill's canned stuff. Yech! A lot of additives made my belly funky. My mom has experimented on a lot of cat food (from Hill's to Iams, to Nutro, to California Natural -- this is the BEST but only found in U.S.) Given the choices you have, Royal Canin is the best. It is more expensive but so is Hill's, the price difference is not so big but the quality difference is.
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 March, 2006
    Actually My Mom has been emailing with the Doctor who invented the Purina/Nestles Diabetes diet food. She recommends Whiskas and Fancy Feast. She says Science Diet has way too much sugar and corn.
    edited 8 March, 2006
    Morgan, Whiskas and Fancy Feast are by no means any better than SD. Maybe even worse. All of them are pretty crappy. Full of by-products, corn, fillers, artifical colors/flavours, toxic preservatives, etc. It's like feeding your child Cheetos every single day of their lives for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  • ldylarkeldylarke Member Posts: 7
    edited 9 March, 2006
    Science Diet isn't a 'bad' pet food choice. It's not the best. It is average in my opinion. Working in a pet food supply store, I've learned a great deal about pet food and what's really in them. The best way to decide whether a pet food is good for your pet is to look at the first several ingredients. The more types of grain in the food, the less protien your pet will get from meat. The percentage of protien in that food is likely to be higher for grain than meat even. Corn and wheat are considered 'fillers'. But they do give protien if they are rendered properly. If you see corn meal, that means it is corn that has been rendered down to the protien only. Cats and dogs cannot digest some vegitable skins, including corn. Which means they just pass it without really absorbing anything benificial from it at all. So while corn meal may be 'ok', keep in mind that if there are several listings of grains in the food, that food is probably not the best source for meat protien. Cats, as true obligate carnivores, require Taurine. Taurine can only be found in muscle, lungs and nerve tissue of animals. That is why it is important for cats to have *meat* in their diet. I've written an article that lists the top few ingredients in some of the major grocery store brands and compared them to the higher end brands and holisitic brands of cat food. There are several links in this article that help you learn how to read pet lables and understand the ingredients better. http://www.cattery-index.com/articles/feline_health/holistic_cat_foods/
  • David EsquivelDavid Esquivel São PauloMember Posts: 6
    edited 12 March, 2006
    hills say the best, but their ingredients , Poultry by-product meal in principal ingredient is dissapointing. not at level a super premium foods. im brazil have this natural pet food natural guabi, this appears to me a good natura cat food. http://www.guabi.com/en/products_natural_cat.htm
  • Patricia HodgePatricia Hodge WatertownMember Posts: 14,819
    edited 13 March, 2006
    Like others have said, unless it is totally junk, let a cat eat what they like, some do have more protien than others, but if you think they are not getting enough protien or othere elements ,supplement them with a vit and a mineral Bluie does not like the expensive fancy food..
  • Tricia Wolff-KeatonTricia Wolff-Keaton hilliardMember Posts: 516
    edited 17 March, 2006
    do you have purina ONE? that is a good food.i eat the senior