Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

stray baby kitten

robin dennisrobin dennis Member Posts: 44
edited 19 June, 2007 in Cat Health
Hi everyone! My daddy found a tiny stray kitten in the woods while he was trimming power lines at work. Mommy gave it a bath, and some mothers milk, and cleaned out his eye. She even started him on antibiotics. The thing is, we need to find him(we think) a home, as soon as he is well. He is a fluffy gray and white tiger stripe. He is very tiny right now, and underfed, but, with some TLC, he should be fine. Mommy won't let me go near him either, which is a little annoying, but, she says it is for both of our own good. She doesn't want me to get ill, and the baby has had so many changes lately, he needs some "alone" time before being bumbarded with company. Any suggestions on what to do next, for health, or a home, please advise.

Comments

• Sarah ManolisSarah Manolis San FranciscoMember Posts: 148
    edited 6 June, 2007
    Sounds like you're doing everything right. I'm not sure about giving the kitten antibiotics since I am not a vet and can't recommend how or when to give medication. Was the cat suffering from an obvious issue that caused you to give it antibiotics? The only thing I can recommend, other than the cleaning and feeding, is to take the little guy to a vet. You may want to try rehoming him once you've had him tested and his age approximated. sarah & jack
  • Nuk AnukNuk Anuk Member Posts: 846
    edited 6 June, 2007
    We don't want to double post (cross post) but we answered this same thread already in the Adoptions sub-forum. =)))
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 6 June, 2007
    I would take the baby to the vet for a check up and see what the vet thinks is appropriate care for his/her age. Nutrition will be the most important thing, especially if replacement milk is still needed. What a good daddy you have to have rescued this little baby!
  • robin dennisrobin dennis Member Posts: 44
    edited 6 June, 2007
    I gave him antibiotics because he seems to have congivitus(can't rmember spelling) I used to work for the Maine Coon Rescue, so I have books recommending the dosage according to weight and age. I have about two years experience with rescues, so, that part doesn't worry me, he is just sooo tiny. I will take him into the vet tomarrow, when my hubby has time to drive me, he dropped him off to me on his lunch break..hehe. He's a good kitty daddy=;
  • Nuk AnukNuk Anuk Member Posts: 846
    edited 6 June, 2007
    We're back! We found some information! for youuuuuuu Source: Adapted from the American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) and Academy of Feline Medicine (AFM) Feline Vaccine Panel guidelines for vaccination of cats. http://www.dvmvac.com/FVacs1.html Oh! and each of us (previously homeless kittys) want to say a huge Thank YOU! for taking in this baby!
    edited 6 June, 2007
    conjunctivitis :-k is what I was trying to say, lol....Thank you Taag, I love your name:));c;
    edited 8 June, 2007
    ;c;%:D%I posted a picture of the baby on my page..if you wanna see him( I think) .
    edited 8 June, 2007
    I added some pictures of the stray baby on my page too...the kids have been calling him ravioli:);c;
  • Anja R- D'AmbrosioAnja R- D'Ambrosio MapleMember Posts: 668
    edited 8 June, 2007
    He is soooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D The name Ravioli is hysterical!!!!!!! Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!=;=;
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 8 June, 2007
    Mew mew good for you rescuing this littel one if you let me knwo what state/area you are in I might be able to find resources who can take the kitten or offer to help you. Purrs
    edited 11 June, 2007
    :-h We are in Florida, near Daytona. I made him his own page ,so, you can see some updated pictures, I will keep em coming, he is getting fatter, and the eye infection is clearing up.=D>
  • Skye LoweSkye Lowe Sqwee VilleMember Posts: 69
    edited 19 June, 2007
    give the kitten to the spca or to someone you trust. never give any animal away for free!!!! bad things have been known to happen to animals given away for free