Golf ball sized swelling at base of tail

Jenny CowanJenny Cowan RentonMember Posts: 1
edited 20 June, 2007 in Cat Health
My cat's tail has swelling near it's base, about the size of a golf ball. There appears to be a puncture wound on the top, and when squeezed, tons of pus comes out. The underside appears to be scraped as well, there's a pretty good sized chunk of skin missing. That area looks a little inflammed as well. Not sure how he managed to injure it. Could this be a spider bite or the result of a broken tail? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 June, 2007
    Oh my goodness! It sounds like a serious abscess, possibly caused by a bite wound from another animal. Is he up to date on his vaccinations? He needs to see a vet, to drain and treat the infection and rule out any possible diseases he may have been exposed to.
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 June, 2007
    Yeah, I also think it sounds like an abscess. You will need to see the vet to have it drained and given a course of antibiotics. Hope you get better soon.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 11 June, 2007
    Franky, You have most likely been bitten by another cat. You need to go to the vet today. The vet will likely give you some anesthesia, open the wound and drain the pus inside. Then you will have a drain placed (which usually comes out in 3-4 days, and an e-collar to prevent you form licking at or pulling on the incision site. You will also be sent home on a 7-1o day course of antibiotics. You will need to stay inside until the wound has healed and your sutures come oiut in 10-14 days. If left untreated infection can spread and can make you very ill. Fevers, anorexia and lethargy are common.
  • Michelle MelvilleMichelle Melville Member Posts: 96
    edited 20 June, 2007
    Hope you're feeling better now Franky.