Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Our Mom Sticks Her Tongue Out!

Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
edited 20 June, 2007 in Cat Health
You can see our Mommy, (Ma) Bailey, on our page. Foster Mommy took us home last week. Mommy was VERY sick when we were born and they even tried to take us away from her. She had five kittens, but our three siblings went to a foster to be bottle fed/raised. They had taken us, too, but Mommy was screaming/crying... So the humane society people decided to let her keep us with her...even though they didn't know if we would survive. Mommy had a terrible URI. Well, we did survive and Mommy got well. We were stuck in a cage, though, and it was getting tight. So, last week, Foster Mom took us home where we have a great big room to play in. Mommy is very happy here and so are we. Foster Mom got a little nervous a couple of days ago, though. Our Mommy is still very young and wants to play. She forgets she is just getting better! Foster Mom noticed, after playing for awhile, that she stuck her tongue out a little (through a closed mouth.) She kept it out for maybe 30 seconds, and then put it in. Today, Foster Mom took her forever cat, Phoebe, to the vet. She asked him about this sticking out the tongue thing. He said that he has actually seen that in a few cats...and, though it looks funny, it does not mean something is wrong. He said as long as she was not sneezing (she's not,) open mouthed breathing (she's not,) or showing other respiratory distress signs (she's not,) then it was nothing to worry about. Do any other kitties stick here stick out their tongues? When do they usually do it?

Comments

• Clare YatesClare Yates KentMember Posts: 322 ✭✭
    edited 8 June, 2007
    I do it all the time,especially if i'm purring and my mummy strokes my head or under my chin, sometimes its sticking out for ages and my humans seem to think its the funniest thing in the world! In my case i think its because haven't got any front teeth left!! :r
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 8 June, 2007
    Thanks for the response, Ludo... We can see the tongue thing in a couple of your pictures! You are still very handsome, though. :)
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 8 June, 2007
    Sometimes this happens to me if I get interrupted while grooming myself.
  • MouseMouse Near Camborne,Member Posts: 43,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 June, 2007
    Sometimes I forget to put my tongue back in my mouth too. and Muffin And The Drifter do it. Seems like it's quite common. You two are growing up great.
  • Karin PruessnerKarin Pruessner DurbanMember Posts: 2,110
    edited 9 June, 2007
    I stick my tongie out too! And sometimes I forget to put it back in and fall asleep with my tongue out (HEY, my days are hard!!). Mom thinks it's hilarious! :r :r :r
    edited 9 June, 2007
    Foster Mom here: Thanks for all your responses! Yes, I think that 'Ma' Bailey just has this habit. I noticed today that her upper canine protrude a bit down over her lower lip when she is relaxed and her tongue was visible (kind of like an overbite) and I know PEOPLE with overbites who tend to have their tongue out a little, too.
  • Melissa RyanMelissa Ryan Fall RiverMember Posts: 401
    edited 10 June, 2007
    Most kitties do that after cleaning themselves. I used to stick mine out all the time. If Mamma does it after playing, it might be a sign of being thirsty or tired...kinda like a doggy does when he pants. Just like the vet said, if she doesn't seem to be having any probs it might be just a silly habit! :-h
  • Kristin HoltKristin Holt ArlingtonMember Posts: 98
    edited 10 June, 2007
    I stick my tongue out a lot - when I get interrupted grooming or drinking or sometimes I just forget to put it back. When I got sick I started doing it more and now that I can't see I stick my tongue out a LOT. My pops did some research on the interwebs and found that some people have noted that a kitty's sense of smell is the most important sense and that the tongue may play a big part in mediating smells. So they theorize that blind kitties (like me) stick their tongues out a lot to help orient them. So I wouldn't worry - your momma is prolly just getting stuck in mid-lick or is smelling something exciting.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 11 June, 2007
    Emma's meowmy here: Emma also sticks her tongue out. Seems to be mostly when she is very relaxed and happy. From the other posts, it just seems to be a habit some cats have. We are all so happy to read that the Bailey family is doing well. Emma, Louis and Benny
  • Heidi HessenHeidi Hessen Acworth/KennesawMember Posts: 975
    edited 11 June, 2007
    Sometimes I stick my tongue out, and "gasps" even drool.... it only happens when i am soooooo soooooo relaxed. Sometimes too I will be cleaning and just stop in the middle - with my leg hiked up in the air and just stare with my mouth hanging open. It really freaks out dad too! Mom says i'm just communing with the spirits...|^| We too are glad the Bailey's are doing well - such a lovely lovely furmily! Purrs and headbonks to all!
  • Irene CoughlinIrene Coughlin Jamaica,Queens, New YorkMember Posts: 160
    edited 14 June, 2007
    I stick my tongue out often too. You can even see there\'s a picture on my page where I am doing it :-h
    edited 15 June, 2007
    Yes, Mush Mush, that is pretty much the look...I notice that you have some problems with your teeth, and Bailey's bottom teeth (other than her 'fangs') seem smaller than normal and her bite might be a bit off (her upper fangs sometimes hang out of her mouth when it is closed)...so that might be one of the reasons, too.
    edited 16 June, 2007
    Ha! It looks like Harry's taking after his Mom: I caught him with his tongue out in one of his new 5 week old pictures! :))
  • Caite SCaite S DuluthMember Posts: 132
    edited 19 June, 2007
    My kitty Skunk used to do this all the time. It was so cute! I lost her when I was in high school. Poor girl had a tumor behind her eye. She was fantastic though and we had a lot of pictures of her doing this! It's just a normal fun kitty thing. I'm glad that your mom and all the kittens are doing well and are healthy now! URIs are NO FuN!
  • robyn nrobyn n Member Posts: 234
    edited 20 June, 2007
    Not much to add, Just happy you are doing well. Very happy for you.