Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Eye Infection

Gina SnowGina Snow FranklinMember Posts: 2
edited 23 June, 2007 in Cat Health
Ugh, I have an eye infection! My mommy wants to know if peroxide is alright to wipe my eye with. Many of her friends and family said that it \"probably\" wouldn\'t hurt me and that humans use peroxide as an eye cleaner all the time. She wants me to at least be relieved for a little bit, because I can\'t get to the vet for another two weeks. She has been using warm water, and I like it a lot, but it doesn\'t help for very long. Does anyone have any suggestions? The eye infection is making my eyes all red,puffy, and gunky. Sometimes, when they are real bad, the corners of my eyes will bleed. Mom bugs me all the time because I wipe them with my paws (that have been in the cat litter and stuff) because they hurt and it makes me cry. I also hurt so bad sometimes that I shiver. I just want my eyes to feel better. Thanks, Sampson

Comments

• Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 June, 2007
    If you are in that kind of pain, please get to the vet right away, don't delay. I would not use peroxide unless the vet says to.
  • Gary WhittGary Whitt Yo' MamaMember Posts: 7
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Yeah, if your eyes are that bad, then please go to the vets asap. Gosh, that has to be painfull and very irritating to the eye. You need eye meds and something possibly for the pain.|bb|
  • robyn nrobyn n Member Posts: 234
    edited 22 June, 2007
    I would check to see if my pet store had an over the counter remidy if not then a trip to the vet is a must. A big HIIIIIISSSSSSSSSS to peroxide near the eyes.
  • Nancy PattersonNancy Patterson Member Posts: 134
    edited 23 June, 2007
    :-O Please go to the vet ASAP! Both Biscuit and Tara have had eye infections, at different times...it was very easily treated and not expensive. We agree with Charm and all above, HIIIIISSSSSS to peroxide! Go! go! go! (That's one from each of us!)=;=;=; Muffin, Biscuit and Tara
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 23 June, 2007
    NO...NO...NO!!! Do not ever use peroxide in or around the eye. The only thing safe to use in the eye, until you get a diagnosis, is sterile saline. (Irrigating eye wash). I would however do your best to get into the vet ASAP. Eye problems can damage the eyes very quickly and shouldn't wait long for treatment. Pawing at the eyes means they are painful and/or there is something in the eye. A scratch on the cornea is very painful. I really recommending you go in today...on emergency if you have to, but if you can't afford that, then you absolutely need to find a way to get in tomorrow. Please don't wait 2 weeks.