Leo has blood on his bum!??!!??

Christina OttChristina Ott fairless hillsMember Posts: 8,628
edited 23 June, 2007 in Cat Health
Hi Guys--I had to post this because Leo was way too embarrassed---Mommy noticed Leo had Blood on his bum hole this morning. She is really worried--she called the vet and made an appointment but they didn't seem as concerned as she is!! My mommy's sisters kitty had this happen about a year ago---and her vet told her that he was having hairballs coming out his bum end(since he never threw up hairballs) and gave them a oil type thing to feed him to lube him up and they haven't had that problem again since they give him the oil. Mommy was hoping that this may be the case, but is afraid it may be something internal---mommy doesn't know if she should request blood tests??? she couldn't get Leo's stool sample because we have that clumping litter and there was 2 poopies in there---she didn't know which was which and didn't see blood in either?? Any kitty have this happen or heard about the hairballs?? Should mommy request blood samples be taken??

Comments

• Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 June, 2007
    My humble suggestion, if your vet seems unconcerned, find another vet quick. Bleeding from the bum can be indications of a number of things, colitis from stress, difficulty with food, other things. I see you missed your folks while they were gone, it's possible the stress caused it. Still, you need a new vet. You can go to Catster Local (button on the left side of the page), type in Fairless Hills and I see there are a lot of vets, and you can read the ratings by other catsters. That's where I'd start. Please keep posting so we know how Leo progresses.
  • Christina OttChristina Ott fairless hillsMember Posts: 8,628
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Hi Kits--I'm back from the vet now :( Thanks Hazel Lucy. I think I might be pretty mad at mom--I cried really loud(which is totally unlike me) all the way to the vet and at the vet, they probed me with a thermometer and poked me with needles!! I am so angry--I'm never coming out from under the bed!!! Leo's Mommy: Thanks for posting Hazel Lucy--We know that their vet isn't the best vet from the beginning--I think it may just be the girls that work up front that aren't that friendly though. They are extremely busy at all times--but we did get a nice doctor. They said that they have never heard of the hairball making the bum bleed--like the situation we stated previously. The dr. said he has big fingers and doesn't like to probe the cats(afraid he might hurt them) So he took Leo's temperature--which they said was a high fine--102.something--the thermometer did have blood and a little mucas on it--So the Dr. prescribed Leo Metronidazole for 10 days for colitis. We did have blood drawn (which was not a fun experience--they had to try both his front and back paw--they said that his blood pressure was low and his blood was just dribbling out) Then Leo pulled away and I think the needle may have teared out of his leg *my poor baby* So, they are sending the blood out and I hope to hear back that all of his tests are fine and that it is just a case of colitis. He really was a good boy though and he is mad at me currently which is as heartbreaking as listening to him cry in the car--I was almost in tears. I have to do some research on Colitis--I don't really know much about it. We will keep everyone posted on his results! *crosses fingers and toes. Then goes to try and get Leo from out under the bed!!* Thanks Again. ~~Christina~~
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Leo, sorry you had to go through all that my friend. I know it is all for the best but it still sounds pretty awful. I hope you forgive your mommy soon because she is just looking out for you. We will be purrrrrrrrrrrring for good test results.
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Hi Leo, I added you to the List on page 1 of the Catsters in Need of Serious Purring thread and also posted at the end of the thread. We\'re already purring for you!
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 23 June, 2007
    Hi Leo, I'm glad you got into the vet and got the treatment you need. Colitis is basically inflammation (itis) of the colon. Metronidazole is a good antibiotic for this type of problem and you should be 100% in a few days. Hope your bloodwork comes out perfect.