Help - Some kind of worm parasite

Amanda FlanneryAmanda Flannery Redford, HollyMember Posts: 29
edited 24 June, 2007 in Cat Health
I just barfed a worm in the living room. It looked like a half inch piece of noodle roni and coiled up when mom played with it. Mom is beside herself. How did I get parasites as an indoor kitty? We just booked a vet appointment for Thursday (earliest available) I seem to be moving fine - maybe a little lazier than usual, but it\'s hot out. All we can think of that I come in contact with is ants and flies. Mom has quite the ant problem and they get in my food :-O What is my worm thing and how should we make sure I don\'t get it again? The vet has never recommended anything beyond whatever my yearly shots are. Do kitties need things like heartworm pills? help!

Comments

• mary hoffmanmary hoffman Milford CenterMember Posts: 62
    edited 21 June, 2007
    You got round worms. I would definatly tell your vet what you seen and get wormed for it. Make sure to clean your littler box and if you have any more cats in the family using your litter box or a dog eating your stool they all shoud get wormed for it. What you seen is not heart worms, but round worms. My vets office has been getting into the heartworms for cats now. We use multi cat advantage to help prevent this. Or you can use pills, It's all up to you. Hope this helps! Kitty loves!|bb|
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Sounds like it could be tapeworm, which they usually get from grooming themselves and eating flease that have eaten tapeworm. Its not that hard to deworm them, just some pills they HATE because apparently they taste awful, but they only need them for a week or so. When we first got Sam he had tapeworm and they said its really common in cats and not really harmful to them, so don't worry too much. Advantage keeps them flea free. If you have a dog it might be bringing in fleas, its not uncommon for inside oly cats to have them. Heartworm is really unusual in cats and has totally different symptoms...wheezing and coughing, lethary. If you're really worried you can also get him tested for that too. good luck!!
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 23 June, 2007
    Sounds like roundworms. What did the vet say?
  • edited 24 June, 2007
    It does sound like you have worms! Most cats are born with worms. I am indoor-outdoor and have never gotten worms before. I'm on Heartguard preventative. Dump the litter box litter and bleach the tray. Rinse it, dry it and then refill it with new litter. Be prepared to see a TON of worms during the de-worming process. It's disgusting.:-# Make sure you eat good cat food and drink plenty of water. Continue dumping the litter box litter at least every other day, especially if you have other cats until the worms disappear.;)
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 24 June, 2007
    I looked at your profile and my best guess is that she picked something up from her visits with Uncle Critter. The odds of an outdoor cat having parasites are close to 100%...so she could have gotten something from him. That means he will need treatment too.