Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

FIP/FeLV In Multicat Households?

Kathy HobbsKathy Hobbs BoiseMember Posts: 298
edited 28 June, 2007 in Cat Health
Okay so meowmy\'s roommate just brought home two new cats with just 24hrs notice. These guys look terrible. They are so dirty and smell like a litterbox. They had them in the garage cause it was pouring rain.(Which leads me to believe they were strictly outdoors.) When ask about vet records they couldn\'t even give a clinic name, just that the female was spayed(closer inspection shows that she most likely had a recent litter) and the male hadn\'t been neutered cause he hadn\'t dropped yet.(these appear to be adult kitties) They didn\'t think they had had any shots. So question is how feasible is it to have FIP/FeLV+ cats in a - household? I have been very lucky and never had do deal with this type of situation before. I have them in quarantine on the other end of the house. I got out the vet grade disenfectant. I have not gotten them tested yet as I\'ve only had them for a few hours, but I would like to prepare myself if they do come back + Thanks! P.S. Sorry this is so long. I wanted to give a good background.

Comments

• Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 10 June, 2007
    Well, FeLV is contagious. I got it even though I was vaccinated against it my whole life. My vet said there is a small possibility that I got it before Mom found me and it remained dormant for 12 years, but it's most likely that I got it from my brofur Maximo who died of it in 2005. I also have FIP. It's not contagious, but the coronavirus that spontaneously mutates to cause FIP is contagious. However, once a cat has that specific coronavirus, there is only a 5% chance that it will mutate into FIP. But that's not a chance Mom would want to take, considering FIP is such a terrible disease that is fatal in virtually all cases. I'd keep the new kitties separated from the current residents, at least until they can be taken to the vet and tested for FeLV. There is also a test for the coronavirus which will tell you if the coronavirus that can mutate to cause FIP is present. But there's no real test for FIP. Most of the time, it is diagnosed by monitoring symptoms and ruling out other diseases. Purrs, Lucky Boo ETA: You will probably want to get the new kitties tested for FIV as well (feline immunodeficiency virus). There is a combo test called ELISA that tests for both FIV and FeLV.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 11 June, 2007
    The viruses are spread through body fluids. FIV can be caught via urine, feces or blood. Felv can be transmitted the same ways, but also through saliva, so sharing food dishes and litter boxes would increase the negative kitties chances for contracting the virus. If you have positive kitties in the household, all negative kitties should be vaccinated against these viruses. It's unlikely, unless the male is extremely young, that both testicles failed to drop. Cyptorchidism is not a common occurrence in the feline world.
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 11 June, 2007
    I agree with Hunter and Lucky Boo - FIP can be transmitted. Be extremely careful - but thanks for helping these kitties.
  • Marta GasperMarta Gasper FairburyMember Posts: 636
    edited 11 June, 2007
    FIP or FIV? Tho both are contagious tho FIP is easier to transmit than FIV.. Meowmy didn\'t know about the litterbox part and FIV..I\'m FIV+ and so is another kitty in the household, there are 7 more kitties all negative and vaccinated now and though there are several litterboxes we like to share sometimes. So that means we could have given FIV to others??? Oh no..we knew about corona and surely it is there but we weren\'t worried about FIV..
  • Kathy HobbsKathy Hobbs BoiseMember Posts: 298
    edited 11 June, 2007
    Ooops:r Meant FIV but FIP is also a concern. These guys are well socialized but health and care wise they are a mess. They got baths last night they stunk so bad. When their harnesses were taken off there were sores from where the clasp had rubbed them raw. Thanks!! Everykitty!!!
  • Kathy HobbsKathy Hobbs BoiseMember Posts: 298
    edited 13 June, 2007
    Well the good news is.............. Both cats tested negative!!! The bad news is there are now TWO more loud mouthed cats in the house.:? Whats a soft-hearted cat to do?
  • Kristin HoltKristin Holt ArlingtonMember Posts: 98
    edited 28 June, 2007
    So glad the kitties tested negative! I went to the Bridge a week ago and was just diagnosed with dry FIP now. My mom is freaking out about my brother/littermate and what he might have been exposed to. Since it was never clear what I had when I was sick, no attempt was made to segregate me from my brother. Now my mom is so concerned that he might be at risk for infection. Should she get rid of / try to clean the things that I came into contact with? I have been sick for several months, so it seems likely that if my brother was going to get exposed to something, it has already happened. Please help - mums is freaking out.