i don't like water dishes

Wendy TuckerWendy Tucker ApexMember Posts: 34
edited 29 January, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
Mommy isn't sure what to do anymore because I most of the time refuse to drink out of my water dish. I always want to lick the water faucets. She was considering one of those water bottles like they use for those cute little rodents we like to eat. We wanted to know if anyone else had any suggestions on what to do. Would the water bottle be a good idea?

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    I always used to drink from faucets too. Mom decided that she didn\'t want me to do that anymore because I\'m getting old and it seemed like all the jumping was hard on my joints. She bought me a special fountain to drink from. I like it a lot and I haven\'t asked to drink from the sink since she gave me that.
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Fountains are the best! I still like to get a few licks at the old water faucet, though... :)
  • Wendy TuckerWendy Tucker ApexMember Posts: 34
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mommy wants to get me one of those fountains but she was looking for something to use until she can get one. She has to save up the money for one
    Yeah, they are pretty expensive, aren\'t they? You know, I was just on Petsmart.com looking for something else and I noticed that they have a fountain that is $20. All the other ones I\'ve seen have been about double that, so that seems like a pretty good deal.
  • Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We got one of our fountains for 17.99 from Petguys.com. They ship very quickly. That particular fountain is black. I would personally suggest saving up for the white as it is much easier to tell when it needs to be cleaned. And while it has a few tight crevaces, a narrow basting brush cleans them beautifly.
  • Sally WrightSally Wright DenverMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I go in cycles - sometimes I'll drink out of the pyrex measuring cup that I forced mom to let me drink out of and sometimes I HAVE to drink out of the faucet. She's learned that I'll drink from the bottom of the sink now if she puts some water there and closes the drain, but I don't make any option easy for her. hehe I jump onto the toilet and then onto the counter so I can get to the sink. I can do the jump straight to the counter just fine, but I'm big and I have to wonder about my joints too, especially coming back down. I used to drink out of one of those calming water fountains that they sell at Target, but then I decided that I didn't like it anymore and I'm not tellin why! Simone will drink water from anywhere, but she started life as a feral and so she's used to doing what she has to in order to survive. Eventually I'll teach her how to be a little pickier and make mom's life more interesting. For now, at least she's finally picked up on how to use the scratchy post!
  • jen clarkjen clark StrongsvilleMember Posts: 1,099
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I NEVER drink out of my water dish... it's not my fault though, they let me do this! I drink from the coffee table, my purrents leave a GLASS of water there for me. My meowmie JUST butted in and said she wishes this habit never formed. I just can't help it, since I get ABSOLUTELY NO people food, this makes me feel like one of them! ::whispers:: Also, it kind of makes me feel like a Princess MOL!
    You know Sadie, I think us cats just like to have fresh water.... Not some stale stuff that's been sitting in a bowl all day. Like the other cats have mentioned, a fountain is a good idea since it's circulated water, it stays fresh. I much perfer to drink out of the sink, tub or even fresh water that has been spilled on the floor vs. the stuff in the bowl.
  • Sarah BrownSarah Brown ChicagoMember Posts: 100
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Sadie Mae, Xavier was dead on - us kitties generally prefer running water to still water, so given our choice we almost ALWAYS would choose a fountain. BUT since fountains are expensive, there are a few other things your mommy could try. First, is your dish too small (by which I mean, is the opening too small to accomodate your entire head and whiskers)? The reason I ask is that some cats don\'t like the feel of their whiskers \"pricking\" or \"sensing\" every time they try to drink, and so they stop using their dish. Your mommy may want to consider a wider dish OR go the opposite route (like Saffron) and drink out of something that will only accomodate your mouth without you whiskers. Second, both very old and very young cats have more trouble with dishes than a cat in his prime. The crouching needed to get low enough to floor can hurt our necks and backs, and we may decide it\'s just not worth it to drink out of a dish if we can get water elsewhere. There are some dishes that are elevated about 6-8 inches of the floor, and those are good for water and food, or your mommy can set your regular dishes on something to elevate it. Or you just might be one of us cats who are supremely finicky! That\'s okay too! Just make sure you and your mommy can compromise so that you are sure to stay fully hydrated :) Best of Luck, Maxwell