Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Thyroid/ blood tests

Melinda BMelinda B Member Posts: 1,628
edited 1 July, 2007 in Cat Health
Hi Everycat, Well, I went to the vet today because Mom noticed my ears were bothering me, and I turned out to have a possible yeast infection in them. While I was there my vet noticed my thyroid was enlarged, so he took blood tests. We will have to wait until the end of the week for the results because of the holidays, but he said I may have to take a pill every day. I was just wondering if any of you have any experience with this stuff? I have lost a few ounces since my last vet visit (I was 13.9 and now I was 13.1). He said that if something is wrong we caught it early, because other than my itchy ears I seem to be very healthy and active. Mom keeps a very close watch on me too. Obviously Mom is going to ask the vet these questions, but until we get the results, in your opinions, is my current food, Wellness Healthy Weight dry, a good food for me to be eating? I used to eat Natural Balance Wet also, but Mom stopped that since the recalls. I am 14 years old, by the way, I will be 15 in September. Thanks for any advice or purrsonal experience stories!!! xoxoxo, Frass:-h

Comments

• Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 July, 2007
    Hi Sassafras, You have been added to the List on page 1 of the Catsters in Need of Serious Purring thread, and also posted at the end of the thread. Feel free to post your updates, I'm sure all the purring catsters would love hearing from you!
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 1 July, 2007
    It sounds like you may have a hyperthyroid, very common in cats. Mom had a previous cat (Rainbow Bridge now) who had a hyperthyroid. It was not a big deal. He needed medicine everyday to control it and bloodwork every 6 months to monitor it. Mom had wanted him to have a radioactive iodine treatment (which is a cure) was in college at the time and could not afford it.
  • edited 1 July, 2007
    Hi Sassafras! I was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroid. My doctor said that if you had to pick a disease, this would be one of the ones you'd want, because it is manageable. We're still learning about it, and others may have a lot more info to give you. It can be treated, but not cured, with pills. Too bad I hate hate hate them! Sometimes I'd pretend to take my pill, then mom would give me a treat, and I'd eat it. Once mom went away, I'd spit my pill out! So instead, she gives me a specially prepared ear cream with the pill stuff inside, I like that a lot better. Just a little of it goes inside my ear. I started out at twice a day, now I'm down to once a day. They are still trying to get me regulated. There are two other options that we know of for treatment. One is surgery to remove the bad thyroid, but we reeeeallly don't want that. The other is a radioactive iodine treatment, which requires a stay at the hospital too. This will kill the bad part of the thyroid but not the good part. Both of these options are more of a permanent cure. One of my symptoms was that I acted very much like a kitten. I would run in circles chasing my tail. Hyperthyroidism can cause hyperactivity. I also lost weight, I was 5 pounds at my last check-in. At my peak, I was 8. I got a little sick after I started on the meds, and hunger striked. I feel a lot better now though. Mom says that I could have a lot of problems if she doesn't treat it, like liver and heart problems. We don't want that! In any case, so far so good. I go for another recheck of my blood and weight in a few weeks. So far, I've been having to go in about every 4 weeks. I'm not sure how often the follow ups are after I hit the right levels though. I hope never!! haha! We are purring for ya! Wuss
  • edited 1 July, 2007
    Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that we haven't heard anything about food being a factor in hyperthyroidism. Now that I'm off my hunger strike, I've been eating Fromm's dry and wet foods by Wellness, Merrick, Solid Gold, Eagle Pack Holistic. My favorite though is Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys MMMM!
  • Melinda BMelinda B Member Posts: 1,628
    edited 1 July, 2007
    Holy COW, Miss Wuss!!! I act like a kitten too!!! My Mommy thought it was great cuz I am 14, she thought it was because I am very healthy!! Thanks for telling me that:-O I had no idea that was a symptom!! As you can see, Mom needs to have another appointment with the vet to discuss all this stuff. Thanks everycat for the answers, I appreciate it=;