Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

CAT OUTSIDE

KIM JOHNSONKIM JOHNSON NUTLEYMember Posts: 387
edited 1 July, 2007 in Cat Health
There is a cat that we have that lurks around our pond. We noticed a fish or two missing, but I really think this poor little guy is thirsty! Today I finally caught him drinking & I went outside with a bowl of natural dry food! Well, he did not run, and he ate less than a foot away from me. I tried to pet him, but he really didn't want me to. I noticed he had on this tight flea collar! Well, I felt so sorry for him, that I took it off after a few tries. It's disgusting!! He is a beautiful cat, but he's so filthy that you cannot even tell. He's a Siamese & Ragdoll mix. What beautiful blue eyes. This was my first encounter, so I am not sure what to do next. He must be someone's? I'm hoping now that I took the collar off that his owner might get him a new one & I will feel better that he has a home. These streets are so busy here!!!!!!! I am so nervous for him. The next time I go to the Pet Store, I am going to buy some Front Line. I would feel better knowing that at least he had some care. I would love to brush that poor guy..you should see what a mess he is! I'm just not sure he's that friendly. Any advice here???:-h

Comments

• edited 24 June, 2007
    Hi Maggie May's purr parent! I've had this problem before. You could keep the cat and see if any missing posters go up?:-k You could also put up your own flyers saying 'who's cat is this?'. You could call animal control. That might be your best bet. But the condition of the poor guy, he needs care and I think animal control could help you track down his owners- and a potential new home. Sorry, this isn't really helping you is it?:?
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 24 June, 2007
    This is Delyte. If the cat had a flea collar that was too tight, possibly he has been gone from his family for a long time? They might have given up on finding him. Or, they could have just dumped him when they moved--it happens. You should check with local shelters and animal control to see if he has been reported missing for a while back. I don't know about Maggie's area, but in this area, if you turn an animal over to animal control, they get one week to be found by their owners and then are put to sleep. If this is the case, I would try to turn him over to a no-kill shelter or someone who will keep him until he is well enough to be adopted. Or do you want to keep him? He sounds beautiful. If you want to keep him, you need to check with all the places that he might have been reported missing to, and if he is not on their lists, you could keep him. Purrs to you for caring about this poor lost kitty! I was once a lost kitty with a flea collar and was picked up by this nice person and now I am the much beloved emperor of all I survey. Amost all, anyway.
  • edited 24 June, 2007
    Very true Delyte...:-k The family could've abandoned him and he's been living in the streets for a while.
  • Robin PinkhamRobin Pinkham BangorMember Posts: 1,601
    edited 24 June, 2007
    Does your local paper have free found ads? If it does put one in. Some people keep watching them for a long time hoping agaist hope for their kitties return. Also maybe your vet could see if it is microchipped? We found a kitty once who had been missing for 4 months from about 10 miles away... the found ad reunited him with him pawrents and little pet doggie
  • Kelly BrayKelly Bray Stoke-on-TrentMember Posts: 65
    edited 24 June, 2007
    I agree with what everybody has already said, but well done for you for caring. =;
  • KIM JOHNSONKIM JOHNSON NUTLEYMember Posts: 387
    edited 24 June, 2007
    I am a sucker for needy animals..whether it's a dog, cat bird, squirrel..anything! I just feel so bad for neglected animals. My kitties have it so lucky here....they have more furniture than us! I just don't know if I could handle 4. It was so hard having 3 in the beginning. It's so nice here weather wise right now, but I cannot bare the thought of him being outside in the cold! We do have a shelter around here. I'm not sure if it's a non-kill one, but I will make sure that nothing happens to this little guy. He just has the prettiest blue eyes.
    edited 24 June, 2007
    Well, we do have to name this little guy..I was thinking maybe Bandit soince he did eat one of our fish in the pond. Any ideas?
  • Ann HallettAnn Hallett Costa MesaMember Posts: 144
    edited 24 June, 2007
    Mom had a cat that started sleeping on the hood of her car. She didn\'t see the cat at first but only a pile of fur on the hood each morning when she\'d go to work. Finally, she started putting a towl down and one morning when she came out, there was a ratty old red collar on the towel. The cat had somehow freed itself and left the collar! Finally mom saw the cat and what a stunning boy. Sure enough, he was abandoned and she thinks abused because much as he loves affection, he sometimes backs away as if he\'ll be struck. Since we have 3 kitties in our home already, mom could not take \"Car Cat\" in, but the neighbors behind us have big hearts and adopt strays in our area. Now \"Car Cat\" (they named him something else but mom still calls him Car Cat after finding him on her car!) has a good home and he still hangs out in our yard a lot so mom gets to see him. A happy ending. Sounds like you may have a similar situation where this kitty has been abandoned. You can surely gain his trust and get the collar off. We hope this kitty has a happy ending, too.
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 24 June, 2007
    I also agree with the free found ad and maybe some posters...and you may want to get a collar of your own to put on the cat. Put a tag saying something like"Hi...am I your cat? Please call...(with your phone number)" And then, if you get no call in a reasonable amount of time you can assume that you can take charge of the cat and make the decisions for its future. Good luck!
    edited 25 June, 2007
    Well, today's update is that he is a Birman! Beautiful, but not even nuetered!!!! I wonder if there are any breeders around my area in NJ here that maybe lost him or even dumped him? He does not seem like a mean cat. He just won't let me pet him that much..he cringes away. We gave him a little cat nip & he was rolling around the ground really cute tonight. Today when I went out to see if he was in our gazebo. I saw him...I said "Hello sweetheart!". He knows my voice now & meowed back...we are making some progress. I bought Frontline for him, and I put it on the back of his neck. Well, he was OK until he felt that & took off running. I hope we didn't do that too soon & scare him off for good. I was just trying to help this little guy out. Does that burn at all on them? I just keep saying my prayers that he doesn't get hurt out there.
  • edited 26 June, 2007
    Flea preventatives do sting. My cats and dogs cringe. But it's not supposed to sting. I think he'll be back for sure. Keep offering him good food and water and you just might have yourself a new all-outdoor feline family member! :D
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 June, 2007
    No, the Frontline doesn't sting, but it smells bad (to a cat), and the wetness tickles . . . like if someone poured water down the back of your shirt. Athena races away when I put Frontline on her, and until it dries the wetness tickles her.
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 26 June, 2007
    RESCUES IN NJ If you are unable to find an owner or care for the cat yourself perhaps one of these organizations is close to you in NJ and can help. Purrs to you for all you have done.
  • Sharyn BergSharyn Berg PensacolaMember Posts: 79
    edited 26 June, 2007
    He's lucky to have found you and your pond! Like others have said he could've been out on his own for a while evidenced by the tight flea collar. Tame cats will turn feral if left to fend for themselves for too long. However, they'll get back into the "tame kitty" thing if given a chance - but it takes time for them to trust again. I'm sure he will begin to trust you more and more each day. Hang in there! And what's one more kitty? I have 3 brothers and 1 sister. 4 is a nice round number!
  • margaret harrismargaret harris brixhamMember Posts: 3,648
    edited 26 June, 2007
    well done maggie may mum said she once had a cat that came to stay it ate and slept for a week and then came for a cuddle and then left she aways hope it found the home it was looking for. good luck;c;
    edited 26 June, 2007
    HERE I AM!!!!!!!;c;:-h What breed am I? Mommy fed me again this morning
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 26 June, 2007
    Hey Moochie: We visted your page, and you are a good looking dude. Was your meowmy able to get that flea collar off you? You are so lucky to have someone who is feeding you and looking out for you. Keep us posted on your further adventures. Catch you later, Benny Grunch, Emma and Louis
  • edited 26 June, 2007
    You are a gorgeous Birman, I think!;c; Wow, you are very pretty. You don't look in terrible condition, but you could've been abandoned recently.|^|
  • Heidi HessenHeidi Hessen Acworth/KennesawMember Posts: 975
    edited 26 June, 2007
    Moochie is just gorgeous!!! What a looker! You know, he could be your outdoor kitty. I and Uncle Odinn are both outdoors - kind of. We have free reign of the garage/finished and unfinished basement. Mom has put all kinds of sleeping places up for us - there are blankets and towels anywhere you would want to sleep. in the winter (yes, it does get cold in Georgia) she only leaves a small door open for us to go in and out so it doesn't get too cold for us. She also got for me a kitty cuddler (it's like woven polyester fiberfill fluffy) that can be like a tunnel or like a bed - I really love it! She also got me a special furry tunnel that is good too! Now Odinn usually sleeps in the finished basement part on a loveseat that is tottaly i mean totttaly smothered in blankets. It works out really good. We are both happy and healthy. And mom says that if we didn't like it here we would leave (and we don't). So, that's all I have to say.....Purrs to you!
    edited 26 June, 2007
    Yes, he is cute! I want to be his friend if you keep him. I am already friends with the rest of the family! Plus, I like the name Moochie. I also like the name Nutley. Mommy says I AM a nut. :-h Anyway, it looks like he is already getting more friendly! It is hard to tell from the lighting, but Mommy is thinking maybe a bluepoint applehead...but it could be chocolate point or sealpoint depending on how he looks in person. Keep us posted. I'm smoochie for Moochie! =;
  • mishelle v-mishelle v- :)Member Posts: 1,659
    edited 28 June, 2007
    That;s kinda the same story with me! i was a stray cat no posters went up and i was really friendly!
    edited 1 July, 2007
    Hmm..we are still confused! We think he may be someone's cat since he comes only twice a day. It's funny, but sometimes he turns his nose up at our food!! Now if he was a stray, I imagine he would always be starving! I think he just may have a crappy owner. He's not that friendly either. I try to pet him, but he'll only let me pet him for a second & then he walks away...a little stuck up! LOL Well, we still look for him every day & enjoy him on our patio when he visits. The other cats always let me know when he's out there because they stare out the window tails wagging...pretty cute I must say. I guess we'll have to wqit a while longer & see what happens if he is out there when it's cold. If that's the case, he needs a better home.
    edited 1 July, 2007
    hmmm.... I still think that the collar thing might work. Mommy doesn't understand people who let their cats go outdoors without collars and IDs. There are two new cats in the neighborhood without collars who would wander into MY yard (and I do not like that) so Mommy checked around and found out that they belong to a new neighbor and are named Buttons and Boots. Mommy has done her best to let the two of them know where MY property is, and they don't come over too much anymore.
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 1 July, 2007
    There are two kitties who come into MY yard, both on the front porch and the backyard. I don't like either of them, especially because one is an un-neutered male. One of them actually scratched a hole in our screen and threw himself at the window! I puff myself up to about 10x my normal size and let out with the most blood-curdling scream you'll ever hear. Binks, who is bigger than I am, hides behind me. When mommy or daddy see the cats, they shoo them away. It's not they don't want to help them, but they scare Binks and me and are tearing up our property. One of them sprays. Mommy has asked around, but no one seems to know who these guys belong to. One looks well-cared for, but the one who is not neutered looks skinny and is frequently scratched up from fighting. Mommy wants to try to trap this one and take him to a no-kill shelter, but is afraid of trapping a raccoon or another type of wild animal. She found out that she can rent a trap from PAWs, so she is still looking into that option. We have to be careful putting food out because of the raccoons, bob cats, coyotes, and the occasional cougar or bear we get in the area. I am so glad to be an indoor, pampered, loved little kitty!
    edited 1 July, 2007
    The people I have asked about helping this cat out are nice, but will not take any unfriendly cats. So, my issue now is to see if he is just afraid or just really unfriendly....