Lion cut

Ed OrtizEd Ortiz Member Posts: 1
edited 3 July, 2007 in Grooming
Hi all, :-hI'm new to Catster and a 1st time poster. This looks like a fun place. I love the retro look of the site. Well today I take my cat Polo off to the groomer for a Lion cut which as I'm sure most of you know, is basically shaving him down to the skin. I'm really nervous about it because he never leaves the house unless to the vet and that is never a pleasant experience. His matts have gotten so bad where I can't get them out myself because they are so close to his skin. I spoke with the groomer and they have a few people on staff and told me that they also have had enough experience with this issue and have never injured an animal. But if the cat is too uncontrollable, they will call me to pick him up or last resort is we can have a vet sedate him. I'm really hoping it does not come to that. Polo is a Ragdoll and not aggressive in the least but he will struggle a whole lot. I guess I'm feeling a bit guilty that his coat is in this condition in the first place but in his 5 yrs this is the worst it's gotten. If they are successful in grooming him, I think he'll be much more comfortable this summer and maybe not hack up quite so many furrballs! I will post an 'after' picture later today...that is if there is an after picture. Ed

Comments

• Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 11 June, 2007
    Hey don't feel bad - I mat up in a day or so - one reason is that I don't groom myself. Oh well - mommy cuts them out until I look so bad she takes me to the groomer. I also don't like to be combed - but I'm a beauty anyway - hehe
  • Nicole VaughnNicole Vaughn PortlandMember Posts: 1,153
    edited 11 June, 2007
    You can't tell from the pics., but Chai is sporting a lion cut. Some cats actually tolerate grooming very well. So long as a groomer stays alert to signs of stress, even those cats who don't like grooming should do fine. Just know that coat regrowth can take time and look pretty funny. If you notice the hair growing back more brittle, coarse or patchy, I suggest a trip to your vet to rule out any underlying health problems. Psst... Don't forget to post "after" pictures!
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 12 June, 2007
    Dear Mr. Ed: Welcome to Catster!!! We read your post and wondered how Polo did getting his hair cut. I have long hair, but it is silky and does not get matter. My sister Emma has a very short, sleek coat. My adopted brother Benny Grunch has a short coat also. Looking forward to photos. Louis, Emma and Benny Grunch Visit our pages
  • Sha LiSha Li HammondMember Posts: 390
    edited 3 July, 2007
    Good luck Polo! My mommy is thinking about taking me to the groomer for a lion cut! She thinks it will look really funny on me but I'm getting really matty around my butt and I don't groom that area well! Plus mommy thinks my fur is getting stinky! Anyways, mommy's worried too because I don't like strangers and being touched on my tummy! Make sure you tell us what's like at the groomer!