Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Update: Gator 911

Nancy GraceNancy Grace near Ft. WorthMember Posts: 104
edited 4 July, 2007 in Cat Health
I got really bad in the last 24 hrs, so mommy took me to the vet early. I had URI without mouth ulcers (good news), sinusitis, really bad earmites, and severe dehydration (that was the killer this morning). The vet infused me with i.v. fluid because it was quicker and gave me flea drops. I have to take antibiotics and should be better in 7-10 days. If not, back to the dr. I go. He forgot to tell mommy that infusions in kittens can cause temporary lameness if the medicine hits my sciatic nerve. Mommy was worried then laughed when the dr. called back to tell her. :))! Just so other worried parents know, it cost $105 which isn't bad considering all that was wrong with me and how sad my family would be if I went to Heaven instead. Thank you for your purrers and barks! :q:^: Gator :-h

Comments

• Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 25 June, 2007
    I'm glad you're going to be OK after taking some yucky meds, Gator! I'll be purring for you!
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 June, 2007
    Hi little Gator, You have been added to the List on page 1 of the Catsters in Need of Serious Purring thread, and also posted at the end of the thread. Feel free to post your updates, I'm sure all the purring catsters would love hearing from you!
  • Nancy GraceNancy Grace near Ft. WorthMember Posts: 104
    edited 25 June, 2007
    Thank you Hazel and Boo! I opened my eyes and stood up for a few minutes just before mommy got your messages. The side effects must be wearing off. The power of purrerrs is fabulous! Love, Gator:-h
  • Ashley SkalaAshley Skala San FranciscoMember Posts: 92
    edited 26 June, 2007
    Gator, Hey dude, I hope you get better real fast! I bet you are getting all kinds of TLC from your meowmy right now...I'm curled up on the bed purrrin for you while my momma sends you this message! PuuuRRRrrrrr!!!! Mee-yow! Kitty kissies, soft nuzzles, and rubs. MuShu
  • Kristin HoltKristin Holt ArlingtonMember Posts: 98
    edited 26 June, 2007
    Hope you're feeling better soon Gator! We are purrring for you and your family! Headbutts, Ollie and Marty
    edited 26 June, 2007
    Mommy and the girls came back from shopping and sprung me from the crate. I spilled my water and made a rocky mess of the porch/hall. I didn't eat breakfast this morning, so mommy wrapped me up like a kitty burrito and gave me a bottle of formula. I didn't like being held that way so I chewed off the nipple and spit it out! Mommy won however because she grabbed the eyedropper and got about 2 teaspoons down me. I hear she's going to stick chicken baby food down me later...yuck! Even human babies don't like that stuff. Mommy ordered me some Feliway spray today hoping it will encourage me to eat. We'll see.:D
  • Autumn GessertAutumn Gessert Amarillo, TXMember Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited 28 June, 2007
    Dear little Gator - Hang in there little guy -- your Mommy loves you very much. Eat and drink and grow stronger! Me and my whole family are purring for you!
    edited 29 June, 2007
    Thank you for all of your words of encouragement. Meowmy got two meals down me yesterday. I clawed and tried to bite her knee, so she put me in time out after I finished my dinner. Then after the girls went to bed, we snuggled and watched tv. This morning I had tuna water for breakfast. I think I like it the best. My throat is sore and raw feeling, does anyone know what Mommy can do to sooth it? It is another reason I don't want to eat. :?
  • Ellie(Elinore) ClarkEllie(Elinore) Clark Member Posts: 9,364
    edited 29 June, 2007
    Poor little Gator , we aren\'t sure about the sore throat but we a re purring that you feel better soon. Your mommie sure is trying to help you and laying by her watching tv is a real good thing. Good luck, little gator
    edited 1 July, 2007
    I have to go back to the dr. and Mommy hopes it will be tomorrow. I am not wanting to eat or drink again and I'm back to sleeping most of the day. Mommy is especially worried because they came home to find me sleeping in a potty mess on the chair that I didn't even realize I had done. Mommy had to give me a bath to get it all off. The medicine doesn't seem to be doing enough, so please keep me in your purrerrs that the next drug works and that the doctor doesn't find something else.
  • Michelle MelvilleMichelle Melville Member Posts: 96
    edited 2 July, 2007
    Purrrrrrs for little Gator. Keep fighting champ.
    edited 2 July, 2007
    I just got back from the vet and had a 104 temp with no obvious signs on my forehead or ears. Even the dr. was suprised. He said that's why I'm not eating or keeping things down. He gave me eye drops for that infection, another infussion i.v., and he gave me one of two antibiotic shots. I go in for the other tomorrow because mommy's chicken when it comes to sticking needles in me. Mommy asked if the infection was something worse but he said 'no,' just a really bad infection so Mommy doesn't think he tested me for viruses. I don't know if I go back after July 4th for more antibiotic shots or not. Mommy got me a 'Comfort Zone' vaporizer and she thinks it has been the reason for my more-than-usual lovey-dovey attitude. It is only 2 feet from my big cage. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
    edited 2 July, 2007
    Dear little Gator - You poor little guy to go through so much. It's so good you have such a good mommy to take care of you! Keep fighting, be strong!! We are all purring for you here. Tommy and the gang
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 2 July, 2007
    Feel better big boy. You've got a great mommy taking care of you!
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 2 July, 2007
    Gator, hang in there. I went through a really bad time with a fever in December and no one ever figured out why I had it! I got better after Mommy spent about $400 in bloodwork that ultimately showed...nothing. My vet said that it was a 'fever of unknown origin.' Duh. :-k
    edited 3 July, 2007
    (Please check my post under 'grooming.' We need help naming a bug.) I got another supershot of antibiotics today. When Mommy got home later (she had dropped me off at home and left again), she had to give me another bath. The vet tech said that the kitten formula was probably causing it as well as medical stress. She told Mommy to give me yogurt to plug me up. Mommy also had to take my cave and toys away in the living room because of an alien bug. I hope she doesn't throw out my crab, I like to use it for a pillow. Tomorrow I have to take my yucky old antibiotics because of the 4th of July. If I'm not eating by the morning of July 5th, then I have to go in for another supershot. Those things leave a big bump on my leg...ouch. Mommy gave the dr. a watermelon for the 4th, and the ladies looked at her weird. Haven't they seen nice thankful clients before.:?
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 3 July, 2007
    Our vet gets all sorts of stuff from his clients. But I've never seen anyone give a watermelon. I think that was a great way to say thanks!!!! I hope you will be better soon. If your mommy wants to learn how to give shots, it's not really that difficult. My mommy had to learn to do it and she thought she'd faint the first time. Knowing that my sister, Abbie, who is now at the bridge, really needed the medicine helped motivate mommy to learn. Sometimes that's easier than pilling. Mystery bug? Very mysterious, indeed! I've got my purr going for you, buddy. Binks
    edited 4 July, 2007
    Last night everything went really well considering the last few days. Meowmy let me loose after the girls went to be and I hadn't pottied on myself. She still has to force feed me, but I got to stay out for several hours and cuddle. Katy got up to love on me too. Then Meowmy had to put me back to bed in order to get Katy in bed. I also showed a little interest in a paper ball. This morning I was still mostly clean (had two litter rocks on my backside and one on my nose), so Meowmy put meds in my eyes and fed me some yogurt and baby food. I'm back in my cage now for a potty break, but she said I can get out when I finish. What a nice 4th of July!%:D%
  • FelixFelix Member Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 July, 2007
    Hi, Gator. I've been following your thread here and am glad to see you're doing better. Hope all continues to go well and you have a good holiday with your family! |bb| Felix
    edited 4 July, 2007
    Hey there, Gator - So glad to hear good news! Hope you continue to improve and have a nice holiday with your family|^| Keep us posted! Purrs, Tommy